Help me plan an antelope hunt for an 11 year olds first trip west...

In early stages of planning an antelope hunt for next fall for my son. Each year he watches me leave from Ohio to chase the high country elk DIY and longs to come with me. While not physically ready for the rigors of backpack hunting he would be incredibly excited to chase goats. He is proficient with a rifle and has harvested three deer here on our farm so from the standpoint he will be fine.

So for you guys who have done this, any recommendations you could share given the above scenario would be appreciated as I am just starting my research on tags, units, and hunt ideas for the little man.

Thanks in advance.

This is a great hunt for an 11 year-old. He will see more animals in one day than he will see in an entire season hunting whitetails in Ohio. I've been making the drive from Ohio to Wyoming on a regular basis since 2001 to chase antelope and have never failed to draw my #1 choice tag even though I've never purchased any points. If you do your homework and don't expect every acre to hold a Booner, you can find a zone with a high draw rate and moderate public access. I would suggest looking at areas within 50-60 miles of Gillette. Plenty of goats good enough for a first timer and a good chance to draw.

Eastern Wyoming would be just fine for him. Easy tags, lots of open country, nice people, and not *too* far from your home. Get familiar with WY's walk-in maps and you'll see even the units with little public land usually still have lots of opportunities. I did my first WY antelope hunt last year and I'm hooked!

I assume he will be 12 when hunting right? Get a point now, you can purchase a point I believe now at 11 if he will be 12 when hunting.

Get a point now. We have only 1 point leading into this year and drew for Wyoming Unit 7, which has a few decent chunks of the Thunder Basin National Grassland as well as a bunch of WIA. Might be a good unit to dry for near guaranteed success next year. With a Type 1 you can shoot buck or doe, so if you are not picky, your odds of success should improve dramatically.

A friend and I went on a DIY New Mexico land owner tag hunt several years ago. The hunt went well, as we both killed opening morning. The next season, we brought our boys along, plus a good friend's son. Mine was 10 at the time. Two tagged out the first day and the other the next morning. You might want to fly back and forth to cut down on the school time missed. Antelope hunting is great fun with the kids.

As Dannyb pointed out, unit 7 is a good unit. There's plenty of WIA and the gas drilling areas are public as well. It's not a long drive to Newcastle for creature features, and you HAVE to go to the Pizza Barn for prime rib. Last time I was there, there's wasn't a walmart but there was a department store called Pamida...but it doesn't have much for a sporting goods section, but it has some basics. I usually don't talk about a unit publicly, but I'm all for a kid having a good time and successful hunt!!

Thanks for all of your replies; Wyoming was my first choice as well. I will get that point for him (and likely all the others so that when he turns 30 I can share with him that I have been buying bighorn points so that someday perhaps he can draw).

We would likely fly for a 2-3 day hunt; weaponry will be either in 243 flavor or 7mm-08. We have discussed together but he is unaware that I am actually planning it and will be over the top excited. He claims he is ready for elk backpack trips with me but this is a much better start for him.

Thank you and if you have any other advice I am all ears.

Heck...take him elk hunting too. He can hike bits at a time and take breaks to sit and have water and some jerkey or trailmix. Let him carry a small pack with his clothes and maybe some of the hunting gear like knives or game bags or calls so he feels like he's part of the experience. You'll love the expression on his face when he hears his first bugle or sees a small herd of cows. Those memories will last forever. Besides, he'd get more out of a week of elk hunting than he would a week of school now a days.

JohnC - I could not agree with you more on the school thing. The education he (and his sister) have had on our farm, in deer stands, and goose blinds will stay with him long after 5th grade geography will. I have a very supportive wife who also agrees that missing school - as long as the grades are up - for hunting is time well spent. Now you have me thinking of elk....wonder if I can swing both next year? Might use antelope to really light that Western spark and chase elk in '18.

I don't know when your sons school starts but Colorado bow season starts the week before Labor Day so that may help get in a elk hunt. Or even a late season cow tag in Wyoming

Copper, it can be a challenge finding flights from Ohio into parts of Wyoming. I checked several years ago and to go from Columbus to Rapid City SD took three flights and the trip lasted about 14 hours. Once you get there, you still have to rent a car and drive the 2+ hours to get to your hunting area. Compare that with a 20 hour drive and you're not saving much (provided you have someone to share the driving with). Add the hassle that comes with flying with weapons and i'd rather drive.

FYI- the store in Newcastle is still there (with a less than impressive sporting good section) but it's now call Shopko. Also the Pizza Barn is still there serving up prime rib, and they also handle game processing for those who'd rather leave that to someone else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back