Help Me Pick Spine with 75 Grain Inserts

emrah1028

I'm currently shooting a 60lb Elite Z28 (28" draw). Shooting a 404 gr Easton Axis 400 29" at 269 through a chrono. If like to experiment with a higher weight, higher FOC arrow this season. I'd like to add a 75 gr brass insert to my next set of Axis arrows.

So, what do you think? Would a 340 spine with a 75 gr insert be ok? Would like to keep them at 29", but 28" would be minimum I'd be comfortable with.

Emrah

I shot a Z7 with a 28 inch draw at 70#. I went to 50 grain inserts with Easton Axis arrows and total arrow weight went up to like 467 grains and I was shooting 340 spine. You should be ok. Now I'm shooting an Elite Answer at 76# and they are awesome...they go right through my deer 3D target at 35 yards...lol I might be a little underspined now, but I'm shooting consistent tight groups and I'm happy with the performance, so I'm not going to change anything.

Last edited:
I ran the 340's (with 100 gr tip) through the Archer's Advantage program and that is just a little on the stiff side or 'marginal stiff' as the program words it.

340.jpg

Which I guess is better than 'slightly weak' with the 400's.
That's IF I did it right...

400.jpg

Now the 400's shortened to 28" looks right on...

400_28.jpg

Hot dang! That looks nice! Thanks for that. I like the weight and FOC. Don't mind the speed. Is that fletched weight?

Emrah

Ok, so here's an update:

I ordered up some Axis 340's cut to 29". Also put in the 75gr brass inserts. With a 100gr Slick Trick Mag, they weigh in at 479gr. And man, do they fly nice! Quiet. No wobble. Straight as the proverbial arrow. Hits my Rinehart with a nice thump. 125gr heads fly nice too. I need to borrow a chrono again, but I think I'm between 240 and 250 fps. That's ok by me. I liking heavy hitting thump over fast and light. Like good 'ol 'Mercan" torque over Fast and Furious, know what I mean?

Emrah

Ok, so here's an update:

I ordered up some Axis 340's cut to 29". Also put in the 75gr brass inserts. With a 100gr Slick Trick Mag, they weigh in at 479gr. And man, do they fly nice! Quiet. No wobble. Straight as the proverbial arrow. Hits my Rinehart with a nice thump. 125gr heads fly nice too. I need to borrow a chrono again, but I think I'm between 240 and 250 fps. That's ok by me. I liking heavy hitting thump over fast and light. Like good 'ol 'Mercan" torque over Fast and Furious, know what I mean?

Emrah

I shoot 28in Axis with 50 grain inserts and 100 grain Shuttle T's out of a 76# draw and I love the thud in my 3D target. They are about 100 grains heavier than my old arrows, so I don't have those 80 and 90 yard shots anymore without looking like a rainbow flight. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to an antelope and deer (if I get drawn) this year. I'm taking a break from archery elk this year :D But, elk are what I set this up for.

I shoot the FMJ's with 100 gr heads out of my RPM 360 at 290 fps, and man do i love that "thwap" when they hit the target! They come in at 470 grains so pretty heavy and fairly fast.

Back