Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Help Me Pick Spine with 75 Grain Inserts

emrah1028

I'm currently shooting a 60lb Elite Z28 (28" draw). Shooting a 404 gr Easton Axis 400 29" at 269 through a chrono. If like to experiment with a higher weight, higher FOC arrow this season. I'd like to add a 75 gr brass insert to my next set of Axis arrows.

So, what do you think? Would a 340 spine with a 75 gr insert be ok? Would like to keep them at 29", but 28" would be minimum I'd be comfortable with.

Emrah

I shot a Z7 with a 28 inch draw at 70#. I went to 50 grain inserts with Easton Axis arrows and total arrow weight went up to like 467 grains and I was shooting 340 spine. You should be ok. Now I'm shooting an Elite Answer at 76# and they are awesome...they go right through my deer 3D target at 35 yards...lol I might be a little underspined now, but I'm shooting consistent tight groups and I'm happy with the performance, so I'm not going to change anything.

Last edited:
I ran the 340's (with 100 gr tip) through the Archer's Advantage program and that is just a little on the stiff side or 'marginal stiff' as the program words it.

340.jpg

Which I guess is better than 'slightly weak' with the 400's.
That's IF I did it right...

400.jpg

Now the 400's shortened to 28" looks right on...

400_28.jpg

Hot dang! That looks nice! Thanks for that. I like the weight and FOC. Don't mind the speed. Is that fletched weight?

Emrah

Ok, so here's an update:

I ordered up some Axis 340's cut to 29". Also put in the 75gr brass inserts. With a 100gr Slick Trick Mag, they weigh in at 479gr. And man, do they fly nice! Quiet. No wobble. Straight as the proverbial arrow. Hits my Rinehart with a nice thump. 125gr heads fly nice too. I need to borrow a chrono again, but I think I'm between 240 and 250 fps. That's ok by me. I liking heavy hitting thump over fast and light. Like good 'ol 'Mercan" torque over Fast and Furious, know what I mean?

Emrah

Ok, so here's an update:

I ordered up some Axis 340's cut to 29". Also put in the 75gr brass inserts. With a 100gr Slick Trick Mag, they weigh in at 479gr. And man, do they fly nice! Quiet. No wobble. Straight as the proverbial arrow. Hits my Rinehart with a nice thump. 125gr heads fly nice too. I need to borrow a chrono again, but I think I'm between 240 and 250 fps. That's ok by me. I liking heavy hitting thump over fast and light. Like good 'ol 'Mercan" torque over Fast and Furious, know what I mean?

Emrah

I shoot 28in Axis with 50 grain inserts and 100 grain Shuttle T's out of a 76# draw and I love the thud in my 3D target. They are about 100 grains heavier than my old arrows, so I don't have those 80 and 90 yard shots anymore without looking like a rainbow flight. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to an antelope and deer (if I get drawn) this year. I'm taking a break from archery elk this year :D But, elk are what I set this up for.

I shoot the FMJ's with 100 gr heads out of my RPM 360 at 290 fps, and man do i love that "thwap" when they hit the target! They come in at 470 grains so pretty heavy and fairly fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back