PEAX Equipment

Help me pick a tent

Slept in a Kodiak canvas for the first time this year. That thing is badass. Nice floor, takes weather like a champ, and had a ton of storage/organization options.

That's pretty cheap. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to wall tents. Do you have to do anything special for rain or is it relatively water resistant?
We had a night of rain and several days of snow so far. The water beads up and rolls right off. I think after a few years it may need to be retreated but so far no issues. Would build condensation through the night but firing up the stove would burn it right off.

Your intended purpose is exactly how I use my kodiak. Two guys with cots, gear, and a buddy heater. The kodiak is canvas so it doesn't condensate with the heater, it can be set up in 5 minutes by myself, and stands up to wind and weather better than any tent I have used. It seems every time I use that tent it snows, rains like hell, or the wind blows like hell with 30+ gusts.

I have a Eureka Timberline 4xt that was served me really, really well over the years and has a high enough ridge line it’ll accommodate me sitting up in my cot W/o rubbing my head on the tent body. Only drawback is that it needs to be staked down TIGHT in high winds as it lacks aerodynamic sides.

I agree with schmalts. Cheapo tent will be strong. I rock a Coleman. Seek outside is expensive and not needed for your style of hunting. Save $$$$

I use an REI brand backpacking weight tent for your same description. It served me well in the Utah desert heat and zero degree Montana snow. Don't stress the finer points unless you want a stove. It has worked well in the plains for me, only falling down in OK, when winds exceeded 50 mph.

Attachments

• IMG_6664.JPG
    IMG_6664.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

We have two of these for spike camps that we take in on ATV's. Although not a tent you would pack in someplace they are not that heavy for what they are and they are bomb/weather proof tents. Had a 8" of snow fall in late Sept one year with 20mph gusts and they held up fine. They are perfect for two hunters, two cots and gear. Having large vestibules both front and back they make for a great tent with room for tow hunters and gear. With two cots in them there is still plenty of stand up and move around room in the tent.

The way we do things these days our basecamp is set up with travel trailers that have all the amenities of home, we then haul a spike camp in 7 miles on some pretty nasty stuff with ATV's and set up a spike camp. Typically we spend two or 3 days in spike camp hunting then head back to base camp for showers, hot meal and some spirit lifting then do it again for the entire month of Sept. Here in Washington Archery Mule Deer starts in early Sept. and Sept archery Elk season starts up mid Sept and into late Sept. It works well for us. On that note we have put these Marmot tents (we have had them for 7 seasons now) through some hell. It's a great tent, specially for a "camp at trail head/car camp". Plenty of room for two with cots. My .02

Because it is heavy, it will handle snow as good or better than more expensive tents. Don't fear the snow more than other ultralite 3 seasons tents with skinny aluminum shock rods. It is hard to grasp but cheaper tents are even more heavy duty. Ultralight means walking a fine line of light VS being able to handle a light snow load. A cheap heavy tent is over-built and will weather better than a much higher priced ultralight. You are paying a higher price for the weight not durability. But again, this is a tent you would not carry more than a couple hundred yards. Heck, look at walmart and you will find 4 seasons tents cheaper than any 3 seasons tent. If car camping, go cheap..... go heavy

100% correct.

That thing is awesome!!

Anyone else using this Ozark Trail tent? I really wanted a Springbar Classic Jack 140 but they are going to be out until November it sounds like. Thought about just ordering the Ozark and selling if I don’t like it. Planning to use it for a canoe hunting trip in rifle season here in Montana.

I would recommend a Kodiak too, if you want to spend a little extra. The canvas stands up to the weather and the flex bow system stands up to wind. I've used mine in all 4 seasons and weather conditions and have never had an issue. If you go to the website you can see the different sizes and options and prices. They also set up super fast and easy with one person.

I've got a big agnes Big House 6 with the vestibule attachemet. It works good, But I think most tents will. I would only add that I wouldn't go with anything less than a 6 man tent for your intended purposes.

The ones with an interior divider wall would also be high on my list if hunting with a buddy. I like my own personal space.

I would recommend a Kodiak too, if you want to spend a little extra. The canvas stands up to the weather and the flex bow system stands up to wind. I've used mine in all 4 seasons and weather conditions and have never had an issue. If you go to the website you can see the different sizes and options and prices. They also set up super fast and easy with one person.

Do they make one that can be used with a stove? I didn’t see one and I’m pretty set on having a stove.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back