Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help me pick a tent

duckhunt

The past few years I started hunting out west. Doing basic antelope hunts we stay in a hotel. Thats not a bad deal considering we can drive into our hunt unit within a short distance. I plan on getting into elk and mule deer hunting. Would like to start camping at the trailhead. I will not be doing any late season hunts but I know the weather could still get cold. Just starting out I dont want to spend a fortune on anything fancy. Im getting a cot and a dam good sleeping bag. Also will have a small mr buddy heater. I would like to get a basic tent that could stand up to some weather without breaking the bank. If possible I would like to keep it around the 300 dollar range. Anybody have any suggestions for a beginner setup?

I'd imagine there are plenty options out there that would fit your need. I bought a big agnes last year for family camping. Not pricey. Works good. I can't remember which model though.

Camping at the trailhead you can just sleep in your car/truck/camper. I have 3 tents for different needs.

1) Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 for all my non-stove needs. I actually really like this little tent. It can be had for under $100.
2) Seek Outside Silvertip for myself and a stove (2 people without stove). Its a floorless and my backpack/lightweight option. They are around $300.
3) Seek Outside 8-man for myself, family, friends. Its more like a 4-man option when everybody's gear is stored in it. Its a floorless tipi for a stove.

I have 4 tents. But the reality is if I am car camping I grab the biggest and also the cheapest one of all. An Ozarks insta-tent from Walmart. They set up super fast, take down fast, and are roomy. Point is if you are car camping don't go overboard on a ultralight tent and put money into other gear.

Camping at the trailhead you can just sleep in your car/truck/camper. I have 3 tents for different needs.

1) Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 for all my non-stove needs. I actually really like this little tent. It can be had for under $100.
2) Seek Outside Silvertip for myself and a stove (2 people without stove). Its a floorless and my backpack/lightweight option. They are around $300.
3) Seek Outside 8-man for myself, family, friends. Its more like a 4-man option when everybody's gear is stored in it. Its a floorless tipi for a stove.
Im thinking 2 guys with some gear. Some gear can stay in the truck.

Im thinking 2 guys with some gear. Some gear can stay in the truck
I have 4 tents. But the reality is if I am car camping I grab the biggest and also the cheapest one of all. An Ozarks insta-tent from Walmart. They set up super fast, take down fast, and are roomy. Point is if you are car camping don't go overboard on a ultralight tent and put money into other gear.
Just thinking about maybe some snow or heavy rain tearing it up. Otherwise I'm good with a basic camping tent.

I’ve got a truck bed tent and I’m in Iowa as well if you’re interested

Im thinking 2 guys with some gear. Some gear can stay in the truck

Just thinking about maybe some snow or heavy rain tearing it up. Otherwise I'm good with a basic camping tent.
Because it is heavy, it will handle snow as good or better than more expensive tents. Don't fear the snow more than other ultralite 3 seasons tents with skinny aluminum shock rods. It is hard to grasp but cheaper tents are even more heavy duty. Ultralight means walking a fine line of light VS being able to handle a light snow load. A cheap heavy tent is over-built and will weather better than a much higher priced ultralight. You are paying a higher price for the weight not durability. But again, this is a tent you would not carry more than a couple hundred yards. Heck, look at walmart and you will find 4 seasons tents cheaper than any 3 seasons tent. If car camping, go cheap..... go heavy

Last edited:
We use Kodiak Canvas 10 x 10 about $500. Stands up to wind, rain and snow. We use guide cots so sleeps 2 comfortably with room for cooler/table top, hunting clothes and buddy jr heater. Could sleep 3 but depends on cot size. Holds plenty of heat to 10-20 degrees.

I’ve had a lot of different tents over the years. We picked up a Kodiak canvas tent a couple years ago on a good sale. Very impressive tent, tough, and that floor in it is really nice. Easy to set up too. It’s a little above your mentioned budget but worth the money. Having that room to move around and lots of standing room is great.

Take a look at the Snowtrekker tents. They are a lighter weight canvas tent that comes in a few models. They have a really ingenious inner and outer pole combination system that really works great. We use then here in Canada for front and back country winter camping with a lightweight stove. Their higher wall and outpost styles offer tons of head room for cots and gear.

Its a great trail head option that will give you everything you are looking for.

I ordered a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 just last night. We'll see how it works. It's a light enough tent to use backpacking but still enough room for 2 of us. (based off the reviews)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back