Yeti GOBOX Collection

help me pick a stove for cooking.

tom338

Backpacking in 5-6 miles, mid september start, 5-6 days in backcountry spike camp. Need help with cooking stove recommendations. Wyoming, elevations 8-9500

You might check out alcohol stoves. You can't get any lighter, they are inexpensive, and you bring the exact fuel you need. They run on Heet in the yellow bottle. I use them now and prefer them to my other stoves. They do take a bit longer to get to a boil, but they are cool. Google Zelph stoves or mini bull designs to check out a few options.

What are you cooking? Are you boiling water for freeze dried, or are you actually cooking things? That will make a difference, as many of the little canister stoves are not very well suited for simmering and/or cooking in frying pans, etc.

I am currently using MSR micro-rocket with a olicamp pot. Olicamp pot boil time is phenomenal and you can easily get by 5 or 6 days with a small fuel canister. Olicamp is the one on the right.

1_zps54cf2dc7.jpg

How does the micro rocket do for fuel consumption? I was using a pocket rocket, but it seems to really chew through fuel.

I can't compare the micro vs the pocket since I have never owned the pocket. I also don't know how many burns to a canister, but during a test with 16 oz of water and Olicamp, boil time was 73 seconds in cold weather (-16F). Based on the burn time, I am guessing plenty of fuel for my trips, but I don't boil more than once or twice a day.

This boil test was with a new, large canister. At the same time I boiled the same amount of water in my Primus pot and the boil time was double. The pot alone saves me a good deal of fuel.

3_zpsdb840555.jpg

4_zps1a262a14.jpg

5_zps3f61d726.jpg

I use the Olicamp pot with a Pocket Rocket. Never thought fuel consumption was bad, but it boils water fast!

Ive had great luck with MSR stoves. I've used three over the years and I typically stick with liquid fuel. I have never actually used a canister stove. I'm curious about the ability of the MSR rocket stove above cooking at -16 degrees. The main reason I've stayed with liquid fuel is its ability to function while winter camping.

Thanks, Miller and Oak.

That Olicamp pot looks awesome. I think part of the problem was I had always been using a Ti pot, that I had for about 10 years, that I ended up burning through the bottom. Comparing that thing, to my buddies who were using jetboils, skews a guys perspective. I actually found the hole when I was getting packed up the day I was leaving for a hunt, and when I swung into Scheels in Fargo they had new pots for like $60 or a Jetboil on sale for $80. I have been using the Jetboil Flash since.....

Another thumbs up for the micro rocket. I used one last year elk hunting 3rd season for lunch every day. Light, fast, simple. Couldn't be happier. I started carrying it on day trips skiing last winter to give the kids something hot to drink at lunch and it was pretty decent even in cold temps. Not the equal of a liquid fuel stove but still good enough.

I actually cook food so I go with a msr dragonfly, big flame/small flame, good for up to 8" pans. It is loud as fudge. If you're just boiling water then the reactor/jetboils are really hard to beat. I've also built a simple wood-gasifier out of some old green beans cans that is super lightweight and does the trick, though slowly, and you need a source of dry sticks.

I'll repeat what others have said. If you're just looking to boil water, it's hard to beat a jet boil. I've used mine for two years, and have been very happy with it.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back