Caribou Gear Tarp

Help me pick a new pack

I like my Kuiu for how modular it is and easy to switch pack sizes. Fits me well and is pretty comfortable. I don't have experiences with anything else other than MR though.

Im not sure of all locations but sportsmanswarehouse carries mysteryranch packs if you want to try one on. My local store will order in different packs for me to test out instore. That being said that's my local SW. I personally just bout the Mr marshall and after a few adjustments it's awesome. I'm 6'4" 250 with 50inch chest 38 waist. Not sure if that helps

I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler. It is a great pack, but I feel like I need more room. I packed my bull out this fall and it barely did do it. I'm going to upsize to a Metcalf before the next season. Love their packs, fit well and distributed the weight well. The Pintler would be perfect for a muley hunt where size isn't a big deal.

blacksheep

I know, there's a million threads out there about packs. So many that it makes it difficult to decipher what's credible. I'm hoping you all can help me decide on a new pack....

Current Setup:
I've been using a cheap, ill-fitting Gregory 75L pack for the last handful of years. It gets the job done, but boy is it uncomfortable. The shoulder straps are thin and tend to dig into my traps and cause shoulder pain. Even after maxing out adjustments, the waist straps sit too low and restricts hip mobility. My hip flexors feel like they're on fire with any weight in the pack. Hunting is hard enough, there's no sense in punishing myself with an uncomfortable pack too!

What I'm looking for in a new pack:
I rifle and archery hunt for deer and elk. I mainly hunt multi-day (2-4 days) backpack trips and long, backcountry day hunts where I'm covering 5-10+mi, often times alone or with a buddy who is trying to fill his own tag. Point being, I'm usually packing my own animal + gear out for a sizeable distance...and the fewer trips the better. The 75L pack seems to been a good size for my needs, but I'm not opposed to something a little bigger. The packs with a meat shelf seem to accomplish this. Also, I'm typically carrying a spotting scope and tri-pod, along with the standard clothing/gear.

I'm loosely familiar with the "big name" hunting packs out there: Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Kifaru,... but don't have any first hand experience with any of these. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any nearby retailers where I can test them out and compare. Browsing the GoHunt gear shop, the Beartooth 80 and Marshall from Mystery Ranch stand out. As do some of the Stone Glacier packs (e.g. Sky 5900), but their distinctions/features seems a little less clear to me.

Do any of these brands/packs standout among the rest? I'm willing to spend the money for something nice, so I wouldn't consider price the distinguishing factor (granted it's reasonable).

Oh, and I'm 6'2" 195lbs in case that factors in...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Beau
I'll put in a word for the Seek Outside Peregrin. Sounds like it will fit your needs pretty perfectly, unless you really want a really big pack.

MR all the way for me. Mine is an older NICE frame with load lifters and the wolfhound bag. It has done great for two seasons. Packed two bulls last year and 1 deer this year. Also took on an early season antelope hunt. I am in the lead in the second pic with a load of meat. My son is packing the head/antlers with an alps outdoorz comander. 46282BCC-B122-44F8-B460-7E8A85D4A47F.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F22A753-3029-4AAB-A77F-6D2A47B6A316.jpeg
    5F22A753-3029-4AAB-A77F-6D2A47B6A316.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • D142F908-192E-4EB0-85A6-6A7B1690CF28.jpeg
    D142F908-192E-4EB0-85A6-6A7B1690CF28.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 3
Lots of great suggestions. Unless I missed it I didn't see any suggestions for MR packs. Has anyone had experience with MR?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back