PEAX Equipment

Help choosing bullets for .308

If you don't reload, find Barnes Vor TX in either 150 TTSX or 130 TTSX. If you handload, load either of those two. You will be impressed.
Excellent bullet. I’ve Been reloading 150 TTSX for my 3006 Going on 10 years now. Tried other bullet manufacturers because other hunters swore by them. Now they are swearing by the TTSX.

I've noticed that different rifles have different twist rates.
I use this information to determine what the heaviest bullets can be properly stabilized at typical muzzle velocities.
Then I'll select a bullet weight and type for the game I'm after.
Deer are easy. I'm a huge fan of the 150gr Nosler ballistic tips.
I'm sure they'd work on elk but I'd lean towards the heaviest bullet that can be stabilized with your specific barrel twist rate.
The Accubonds, Game Kings, and TTSX are well designed for deeper penetration and proper expansion at longer distances and on larger game than typical for deer which at closer ranges, may pass through with no expansion at all.
They'll still kill deer just fine.
There is a lot of good load data at www.hodgdonreloading.com
Let us know how you make out !

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I ended up going with Barnes Vor-tx TTSX (and I went with 168 grains because that’s the best I can find in my area right now). I’ll try them out this season.

I know there is going to be A Lot of eye rolling with this one, but a 125 BT is a Hammer on whitetails & 'Lopes. It's stronger than most expect.

I know there is going to be A Lot of eye rolling with this one, but a 125 BT is a Hammer on whitetails & 'Lopes. It's stronger than most expect.

I just got some delivered yesterday. I hope to try them out next year. Would it be worth trying the 125 grain Accubonds or just stay with the BTs?

180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips
44.0 of Varget or 43.2 of RL 15
WW brass and CCI BR 2 primers
Bullet performance at 308 Win velocities is excellent with the 180gr BT
Or 45.0 of Varget with 165gr BT Accubond and 44.0 of RL 15

Last edited:
Hi there, I have a Howa .308, and I'm looking for recommendations for bullets that are good for deer and elk. I've hunted a lot, but I have to admit that I've understood very little about the differences in available cartridges and brands. I want to change from what I have used and try something new this year.

Until now, I've used Hornady Superformance 168 grain ELD Match bullets. I've taken a lot of deer with them, but I've noticed that the bullets fragment badly, and sometimes they don't pass through the animal even at very close range. They just make a huge hole and a mess. On one deer, the first bullet didn't kill it. I made a second shot at the back of the neck from 30 yards, and it literally ricocheted off and the bones and didn't even pass through at that close range.

Anyway, I'd like recommendations for something else. I'm open to any and all educational tips you can give me. I'm also interested in possibly going for non-toxic/non-lead bullets. Given that it's kind of hard to find ammunition, I want to start looking for some soon.View attachment 213091
Don’t use Match bullets for hunting !
The 165 gr Accubond is what I recommend with Reloader 15 @ 44.0.
When you add Elk I really like the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in the 308 Win with the lower velocity of the 308 win the performs excellent on elk and moose.
My load of 43.2 of RL 15 has been my load for years in WW brass with Fed 210M primers.

Last edited:
There is no doubt in my mind you can kill an elk with a 125gr 30 cal bullet in a 308. But also not a doubt in my mind it's not the best choice. I had killed a lot of deer with the 165gr Hornady Interloc in 308 and I believe it is the best bullet for the 308. But in Alaska fishing a remote river I took the same 308 but loaded with 200gr spiter's. Lost a lot of MV but didn't plan on shooting anything I didn';t acsloutely have to, thinking maybe 20yd shots. For deer and elk with the same bullet I found 180gr spire points shot very well but I only shot them to 100yds. At that range it wouldn't phase me to shoot an elk with them but My better choice is a 30-06 with that 180gr bullet. Then what ever you can kill an elk with you can surely kill a deer with! I think 180s will kill as well and give you better options on shot placement and still reach acceptable velocity.

I haven't had a chance to get there yet,,,
My son-in-law has been working on long range precision loads for his 6.5.. His goal is 3" target at 1000yds so I've been his talking research manual.
Pretty tall order. Consistent impacts, or just once in awhile? mtmuley

Pretty tall order. Consistent impacts, or just once in awhile? mtmuley
He's looking for somewhat consistent. He's been shooting for most of his 46 year lifetime but has only by reloading for 4-5. He is learning and also teaching my grandson so as long as he keeps trying, he's still learning and that's a good thing!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back