Help choosing bullets for .308

Hi there, I have a Howa .308, and I'm looking for recommendations for bullets that are good for deer and elk. I've hunted a lot, but I have to admit that I've understood very little about the differences in available cartridges and brands. I want to change from what I have used and try something new this year.

Until now, I've used Hornady Superformance 168 grain ELD Match bullets. I've taken a lot of deer with them, but I've noticed that the bullets fragment badly, and sometimes they don't pass through the animal even at very close range. They just make a huge hole and a mess. On one deer, the first bullet didn't kill it. I made a second shot at the back of the neck from 30 yards, and it literally ricocheted off and the bones and didn't even pass through at that close range.

Anyway, I'd like recommendations for something else. I'm open to any and all educational tips you can give me. I'm also interested in possibly going for non-toxic/non-lead bullets. Given that it's kind of hard to find ammunition, I want to start looking for some soon.tempImageeXq1Ti.jpg

SPS has 150 partitions for $37 in stock, they would work pretty good. To me the perfect all around hunting bullet for a 308 since you included elk would likely be a 165 accubond.

We use 165 gr boatails for Elk and Deer and never had
one run more than 50 yards.

I am certain almost every reply you get has some merit but it sounds like you are looking for some simplicity (good for either species) and solving a problem of bullet performance (long and close range penetration/expanation/toughness). So keep it SIMPLE. For a lead core bullet, look to Nosler partition. For a copper look to a Barnes TTSX. If either shoot accurately in your gun, STOP and buy a long term supply. I will warn you that different states and maybe someday the feds will mandate copper or other non toxic, so if that plays into your planning, just make the leap now. Once you have a load - Commit to it and buy a case.

This!! Will kill everything and very accurate.
150 TTSX would be hard to beat if you want lead free.
This is my experience as well in 308 with TTSX. I load 160s and they are the most accurate bullet out of my 308. Very effective on deer and elk. The landowner where I hunt likes eagles and asks me to shoot copper. I see no reason to switch back to lead.

Does anyone have experience with the 168 Barnes ttsx? I bought a few boxes but Bud’s had 168 and 130 grain and believe they still do.

Hi there, I have a Howa .308, and I'm looking for recommendations for bullets that are good for deer and elk. I've hunted a lot, but I have to admit that I've understood very little about the differences in available cartridges and brands. I want to change from what I have used and try something new this year.

Until now, I've used Hornady Superformance 168 grain ELD Match bullets. I've taken a lot of deer with them, but I've noticed that the bullets fragment badly, and sometimes they don't pass through the animal even at very close range. They just make a huge hole and a mess. On one deer, the first bullet didn't kill it. I made a second shot at the back of the neck from 30 yards, and it literally ricocheted off and the bones and didn't even pass through at that close range.

Anyway, I'd like recommendations for something else. I'm open to any and all educational tips you can give me. I'm also interested in possibly going for non-toxic/non-lead bullets. Given that it's kind of hard to find ammunition, I want to start looking for some soon.
First...Are you a reloader? That'll open a world of options.

If you're not a reloader then 150 TTSX, Accubond, Partition, Federal Terminal Ascent might fit well if you can find the loaded ammo.

I think you're going to get better performance from pretty much any hunting bullet you pick. You're currently using a bullet that is designed for match accuracy and not for performance on game. My advice would be pick some decent lead hunting bullet in 165 (ish) grains, or some all-copper bullet in 150(ish) grains.

Back