Helmet laws are a good thing.

DaveHawk

Got my helmet back from a friend yesterday. Thank God for helmet laws in Md. The visor screw took the brunt of the hit besides my ribs. For the life of me I still can't figure this one out. It's like the bike had a mind of it's own , threw me off and kept going up right over the 30' drop off knowing I was not going to make the turn. :confused:
20120608_101940.jpg

Glad you're ok!! Crazy... bikes are basically a death warrant. As fun as they are, this guy is going to have to keep passing on getting on another one.

Wearing a helmet is a good thing. Not sure that mandating it is, though.

I've always said nobody should be told they have to wear a helmet, but they're a fool if they don't

They shouldn't mandate helmets but emergency personell shouldn't have to deal with anyone not wearing one...also insurance companies should not have to pay out any claims for someone not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle/ 4 wheeler. I don't want to have to pay higher rates just because you like the air flowing through your goldi-locks...

I've always said nobody should be told they have to wear a helmet, but they're a fool if they don't

Agreed . I always figured everyone wore a helmet till I road into Pa and was told that there is no helmet law there.
I just started riding last year so never though about not waring one.

Keep those helmets on man!! Just saw a guy get killed here about 300 yards from my driveway this week due to a guy not wearing his...............very sad deal man.

I see couples on a bike - often only the girl is wearing a helmet - my take is that I dont know who makes the decisions with that couple, but I do know who does the thinking.

Dave,
Any pics of the bike? Glad you made it out safely.

Agreed again. There's no helmet law here in CO, but I always have mine on. In fact just got a new carbon fiber FF helmet.

And if you're a "text n drive" person, put the damn phone down or pull off the road!:mad:

I did not get any pics of the bike. But I will when she is all done. The shop working on her is treating me good. A number of upgrades. It thay have a upgraded part on had and don't have to buy the part they will use it. Like a new Lindy bar, LED lights, chrome main transfer cover. Upper ferring getting painted on both sides and I bought an HD radio and speakers that will put in. all on the insurance bill.

I was wearing my helmet in Denver back in 1970 when a lady pulled out in front of me on Sheridan Blvd. That Pontiac had to have been at least 35 feet long, laying it down would have put me under the car so up on the pegs and ride it out. Impacted her at the rear wheel and the bike and I went over the trunk end over end and side by side. Witnesses said it looked like ballet, but we landed 15 or so feet on the other side and continued to slide another 20 or so. Never touched the pavement from the waist up, wound up sliding down the street on the seat of my pants in an upright position. Weird!! Totaled the bike, bent the frame in five places, $500 damage to the Pontiac in 1970 dollars, and all I got was bruises and skinned kneecaps. I didn't learn my lesson though, for I had another bike within a week. Still wearing the helmet too.

1 in 3 chance if you die on a cycle that you had BAC of .08 or higher. Obviously, not good idea to drink and drive any vehicle no matter the number of wheels.

Tarheel my brother did the same thing on his Honda in High School. It happened in front of the school.He split his helmet but no serious injery. He still road.

Went on a group ride today. Don't know exactly what happened, but an older guy(I'm 42) dumped it going around a twistie. No helmet, he had a bloody nose/forehead. Didn't look like it was the first time. Bent a few things, dented the tank, but thank God he was ok and kept riding after we all stopped and tended to him.

About 10 miles down the road I don't think another rider was that lucky. CO Trooper was out with his measuring wheel and Firemen were directing traffic.

Rock the Gear!

Back