MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hello from SD

THunt

So I just moved to South Dakota in December from Colorado Springs after retiring 26 yrs in the military. Being that I am not working and the weather has been not great I've spent a lot of time watching TV. Came across this show Fresh Tracks and started binge watching and that has brought me to this sight along with a subscription of the OnX app. Haha.

So like I mentioned retired from the Air Force after 26 yrs, my wife also retired military decided to take a job at the VA in Sturgis and here we are. I have 2 boys both fire fighters in the Air Force, one in Wyoming and the other in Alaska. Also a 4yr old daughter who stays at home with me for now. She's about to learn how to turkey hunt pretty soon because we cannot sit in this house much longer. Come on April! Anyways I've been an outdoorsman since I was a kid and so to are my boys and wife. I have a Masters degree in Fish and wildlife management so hoping to put that to use when the wife says I can go back to work. Not that I'm complaining. My only heartache is having to find all new places to hunt again. Hoping this OnX app will help with that, wish I'd had this years ago. But after 26 years of moving around, that's nothing new, except I have nothing but time to hunt now. So thanks for the add to the link and look forward to chatting with you all. Shoot straight!

Welcome! You landed in the best place in SD for public land and public land hunting. You've got 3 million acres right out your back door! Thanks for your service and good luck with the turkey.

Welcome! Your in a great part of the country, terrific hunting in SD, and close to WY and CO and MT - ENJOY!!!

Welcome from about an hour away in Wyoming. You picked a pretty nice place to move to. If you need to escape that first week of August, I understand, :).

Welcome from about an hour away in Wyoming. You picked a pretty nice place to move to. If you need to escape that first week of August, I understand, :).
Ya I hear it gets pretty crowded up here in the summer, especially when Sturgis rally ramps up. I lived in Cheyenne for about 2 years. Really loved Wyoming and we wanted to go back just not to Cheyenne. Couldn't find any jobs in the nicer places. Use to go up to Newcastle for turkey season.

Welcome to the sight! Think you'll really like the Black Hills (except the short time during the rally maybe ha ha), nice area for sure!

Welcome to HT. You picked a great place to land. Every fall I make a trip from TN to SD for some great pheasant hunting,

OnXMaps became my best friend this past year. Wished I had it when I moved to IL.

You do live in one of the best states in the Country for fishing.... In case you didn't know. The only one I found to be better was ND. You don't even need a boat!

Welcome to the HT forum. Thanks for your service

I recently started hunting in South Dakota as well (Eastern side for the most part). If you need any pointers on navigating the system, or just general questions, feel free to reach out.

Welcome from the east side of the state. OnX will be great tool for you in the Hills. Save your maps for offline use as most areas lack cell service. Good luck with your seasons.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back