Yeti GOBOX Collection

Helicopter BLM access

brianfromtulsa

I've seen a few comments on this board jokingly referring to helicopter access of landlocked BLM. Has anyone on here actually done it? Some buddies and I have joked about it as well but never seriously considered it but if you have, I'm curious about the details.

BigFin himself has done it more than once. There are some restrictions that apply to choppers and fixed wing access, but it's doable in a lot of areas if you can find the right company that can legally do it and you have the money to do it.

Considering the number of executives that fly choppers to work, you would think it would be reasonably common.

I've seen a few comments on this board jokingly referring to helicopter access of landlocked BLM. Has anyone on here actually done it? Some buddies and I have joked about it as well but never seriously considered it but if you have, I'm curious about the details.
We have a lot of people down here in Louisiana that have ultralights as a hobby. When researching my first trip to Wyoming and read all the comments about landlocked land I thought about the ultralights being perfect for that. But once I made the trip to Wyoming and experienced the WIND!!! Maybe not.

There was a thread on here recently about this and someone made the comment that a since a lot of pilots work for the local ranchers they won't fly out of state guys in to these parcels, afraid they will make the locals mad.

Honestly, I don't think most pilots around here would mind doing it. If you have the money I would say go for it. There are few areas I can think of where you couldn't find at least some accessible public land in a hunt area without air access though. Certainly there are some big chunks that are landlocked where this would be a fun way to gain access.

Regarding the legality aspect, from what I know I don't think it is illegal. I believe the Wyoming regulations state something along the lines of it being illegal to use aircraft to spot wildlife. If you are simply transporting yourself to a hunt site I think this would be considered legal. In this case I would contact the local warden and let him know what you are up to just in case. You would want to check with the WGFD and possibly the FAA to make sure on this though.

Honestly, I don't think most pilots around here would mind doing it. If you have the money I would say go for it. There are few areas I can think of where you couldn't find at least some accessible public land in a hunt area without air access though. Certainly there are some big chunks that are landlocked where this would be a fun way to gain access.

Regarding the legality aspect, from what I know I don't think it is illegal. I believe the Wyoming regulations state something along the lines of it being illegal to use aircraft to spot wildlife. If you are simply transporting yourself to a hunt site I think this would be considered legal. In this case I would contact the local warden and let him know what you are up to just in case. You would want to check with the WGFD and possibly the FAA to make sure on this though.

Why not just read the regulation? This is Wyoming:

Section 12. Use of Aircraft to Sport or Locate Wildlife. No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

Another consideration is if utilizing a helicopter for the pack out (aka game removal) could be considered illegal outfitting under the right circumstances.

We as hunters simply need to bring down a couple Alaska bush pilots for the hunting season. Like uber for hunters who use landlocked public land. The ultralight idea is awesome, LOL

I know the geography and rules are different, but here in New Zealand we use choppers to drop us in hard to get to places a lot. For the roar or ballot hunts there can be 30 cars at the chopper car park. It’s such a cool way to travel, the cost of the flight is worth the views alone which are pretty cheap starting from $NZ250 return.

This is a phenomenal idea lol... create an app to line up drops and pickups. I bet a pilot could make a killing in 2-3 weeks in WY and MT shuttling groups in and out.

It love the idea! But after the first year there would be a bill making it's way through the legislature, put forward by a mega-landowner's representative buddy, to stop/restrict it. :poop:

It love the idea! But after the first year there would be a bill making it's way through the legislature, put forward by a mega-landowner's representative buddy, to stop/restrict it. :poop:

I know at least one member of the Wyoming house. I might ask him about the odds of such a bill ever making it through.

Why not just read the regulation? This is Wyoming:

Section 12. Use of Aircraft to Sport or Locate Wildlife. No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

^ Thanks

I believe its illegal in Alaska to hunt the same day you fly in but it sounds like an awesome opportunity. I have done a couple quick google searches to see if I could find anywhere that advertises for it in WY and only found one place that might do it.

I seriously considered buying a powered parachute for this very reason....winds in Wyoming might be a bit of a challenge though

I seriously considered buying a powered parachute for this very reason....winds in Wyoming might be a bit of a challenge though
'Sounds like a fun option. Soaring back over your access flight path with antelope in your pack and weapon on your lap would be ideal on a day when conditions are "clear, blue, and twenty-two". However, as a master Army aviator too often stuck somewhere undesirable by weather, let me remind you of the potential quickly changing weather during Wyoming late fall, early winter days. Keep in mind the old saying, "Only go by air, if you have time to spare."

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back