MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Helena?

Lab

What is the hunting/fishing/camping like in this area? Can an out of state hunter find land to hunt? Camping in summer for scouting? Things for wife to do in town?

Lots of public ground around Helena.

Excellent fishing as well with three lakes within 20 miles and the Missouri River above and below the three reservoirs providing excellent access and good river fishing.

Probably not a ton of things for the wife to do in town as far as shopping or things like that.

Plenty of places to camp whether in the mountains, or near the lakes/rivers.

Can PM me if you want more info and I can give you my email or cell if you have more specific questions.

Several Helena guys on the forum so you'll likely get more responses as well.

Nice pic in your profile.

Downtown is super-walkable for the wife, and has some shopping with a local flare both in clothing and knick-knacks. It's no Bozeman or anything like that, but there are some cool little shops and there are other things like the Historical Society, museums, and tours. The Capitol tour, if running (budget cuts killed the hosted tours) is a good way to spend an afternoon as well. Lots of good architecture and I think there's a walking tour of the Mansion district (Helena at one point had more millionaires per capita than any town in the world due to the gold rush & cargo businesses). Helena also boasts some of the best trails in close proximity to town through the South Hills, so lots of hiking & biking close to town as well. Broadwater hot springs is newer attraction, and to the south by about 30 miles is the old Boulder Hot Springs and B&B.

Tons of public land around town, and lots of general tag opportunity, plus fishing in the lakes & streams. These areas do get significant pressure, but like all hunting, the farther away from the road you get, the better the hunting is.

Happy to answer any specific questions through IM.

I hunt local quite a bit for elk. It can be tough at times to say the least, meaning a lot of the public ground I have success on is heavily timbered or elk can escape to private ground. Some hard core guys I know typically drive 3-4 hours for better hunting opportunities but they are also looking for big bulls.

The fishing is out of this world but the Missouri will be busy during peak periods for sure.

Helena's downtown walking mall is pretty unique. Lots of little stores and places to drink coffee and beer.

One of my favorite little creeks is 10Mile. super fun on ultralight gear.

Hunting is horrible and the fishing is even worse;). It is actually difficult to hunt mule deer near Helena, most units require a permit.

Below was my MIL's fave place to return to when in Helena. Opened in 1922 and she was born in 1930 then moved away in 1950s but this was always one of her first stops when back to see relatives. On her last visit before passing, she knew the end was near and we stayed in the Parrot an extra hour or so quietly sitting. My wife and I were in no hurry then as we all walked outside my MIL paused to look back before getting into our rental car. A special place for her. I hope it never closes.

http://www.parrotchocolate.com/

Grew up in Helena, awesome fishing, hunting leaves a bit to be desired. lots of public, but anything close to town gets lots of pressure. For a bigger town and the state capital, there is suprisingly little to do in town. the Mt Historical society museum is always fun if you like history. any other questions feel free to ask.
Tanner

Grew up in Helena, awesome fishing, hunting leaves a bit to be desired. lots of public, but anything close to town gets lots of pressure. For a bigger town and the state capital, there is suprisingly little to do in town. the Mt Historical society museum is always fun if you like history. any other questions feel free to ask.
Tanner
I've heard this before but I've been to quite a few areas close to town and if you are willing to hike a bit, it's easy to have the place to yourself (as for anywhere I suppose).
Ben Lamb said:
We do enjoy adult beverages in Montana.
FIFY ;)

We love Helena (grew up in Missoula). Still seems a bit undiscovered. Hoping it stays that way for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Downtown is super-walkable for the wife, and has some shopping with a local flare both in clothing and knick-knacks. It's no Bozeman or anything like that, but there are some cool little shops and there are other things like the Historical Society, museums, and tours. The Capitol tour, if running (budget cuts killed the hosted tours) is a good way to spend an afternoon as well. Lots of good architecture and I think there's a walking tour of the Mansion district (Helena at one point had more millionaires per capita than any town in the world due to the gold rush & cargo businesses). Helena also boasts some of the best trails in close proximity to town through the South Hills, so lots of hiking & biking close to town as well. Broadwater hot springs is newer attraction, and to the south by about 30 miles is the old Boulder Hot Springs and B&B.

Tons of public land around town, and lots of general tag opportunity, plus fishing in the lakes & streams. These areas do get significant pressure, but like all hunting, the farther away from the road you get, the better the hunting is. IM.

This^^^

Keep in mind distance up here is measured in time rather than miles. There is a reason Montana has 80 MPH speed zones. Where I live Helena is the Big City. It is all in one's perspective. Helena and the "surrounding areas" abound with fishing and hunting opportunities. Heck, Bozeman is just down the road...If you are willing to explore, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Tons of public land around town, and lots of general tag opportunity, plus fishing in the lakes & streams. These areas do get significant pressure, but like all hunting, the farther away from the road you get, the better the hunting is.

Happy to answer any specific questions through IM.

Gee, you sound like you're with the chamber of commerce:cool:

Gee, you sound like you're with the chamber of commerce:cool:

Thanks Guys! Looking at doing a vacation up that way. We have hit Bozeman, Dillion, Missoula, Northwest section, Sydney, Plentywood, Miles City, a lot in the east and so on. Wanted to look at an area I have never been to. Great Falls interest me too.

I would second most of what is already said. The deer hunting is ok at best if you draw a tag. I do some single day elk hunts locally but with very little luck. If we have 2 days or more, we drive 3-4 hours to better spots with less pressure. The beer is good, just a few local restaurants really, and yes, the walking mall is unique. Tons of camping opportunities on USFS land though!

Beer? I am from Fort Collins and we love our beer!

We have (for a town of about 30,000):

Blackfoot River Brewing Company (favorite)

Tenmile Creek Brewing

Lewis & Clark (cool venue for concerts, etc as well)

and a new one Snow Hop, which will be opening in the valley.

OK, I've gotta say it. If you travel that far, drive up to Augusta and stop in to the Buckhorn Bar for one of their burgers then maybe continue up to Sun Canyon.

So if you drive past the Lakeside, down past York to the end of the road, that hike straight ahead through that little canyon is pretty cool. Not difficult but cool. I keep wanting to go to the hanging valley sometime but haven't done it yet, from the same trailhead/campground there. Anyone done it?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back