MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Heel slip

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

I have been trying on new boots and am pretty sure I got the right boot for me but wanted to ask for real world heel slip experience.

My old boots felt great until it was time to go vertical. I tried different insoles, lacing techniques but the only thing that stopped blisters was mole skin.

Obviously these boots were not for me…well now the problem is I am paranoid about any heel slippage. I have read about having a “ fingers width” and obviously socks make a difference but I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

The boots that I really like are the crispi guide gtx.

Thanks

Todd

Get a couple pairs of liner socks to wear under your normal socks. I have a couple pairs of fox rivers- they were cheap and very thin but made a huge difference.

I tore up my heels in new Kenetreks last year. I have a buddy who tore his heels up really badly this year in Crispi Guides. I think these stiff boots can be really prone to rubbing until they are well broken in… which takes a long time for me. Some people say they require no break in… but that’s not my experience. In fact I think my left Kenetrek is still breaking in as far as boot flex. I wrote Kenetrek and they recommended a pretty extensive break in process- I imagine Crispis are similar.

I have not had issues with boots that lace up but i have heel lift in all my muck and cowboy boots. I used to wear the back out of boots in a month or so but I wear an ankle bootie thing like this everyday now. It has have my boots alot more life and alot more comfort.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-221120_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-221120_Chrome.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 3
I wear Kenetrek liner socks and a lightweight pair of Smartwool and then don't lace my boots very tight at all. If going downhill for any extended time will have to lace my boots up tighter otherwise I end up with black toenails:( Lacing the boots rather loose has virtually eliminated heal blisters for me.

I had wicked heel slip in the Meindl comfortfit hunters. They maybe weren't the perfect fit for me as I measured my foot a season after I purchased them and found out I now need a wide boot, and my Meindl were standard width. I felt they were great boots but I had to tape my heels if I was wearing them for more than 10 minutes.

I purchased the Crispi guide gtx on sale, in a wide, and have had zero problems. I get a tiny bit of movement but no heel aggravation.

I have rubber the back out of every pair of rubber boots I have ever bought.

Reactions: JDH
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back