Heat Stroke Sucks

Glad you were on top of it, in the sense you caught onto the elements after it slipped by ya. Great to see you're recouping well.

Good thread reminder. Thanks for the share. Also, good thought re: electrolytes.

I was a city firefighter for 28yrs & a paramedic. I had "heat exhaustion" numerous times & "heat stroke" only once. The heat stroke incident I thought I was going to die. May sound odd to some of you. But I felt my soul wanting to leave my body. As I exited the house fire we were over-hauling. I peeled off my helmet & bunker coat. I grabbed a towel from our truck & poured bottle water over my head. My body core temp felt like a hot cookie being baked. I felt like vomiting & felt very light headed. An ambulance EMT told me "you look like crap" I told him I feel like dying right now. As he poured another bottle water over my head to cool me off. He took my BP & it was so high I pegged the needle on the BP cuff gauge. I drank a gatorade off of our truck. Still felt like dying. We went back to the station & I finished my 24hr shift. The next day I still felt sick & weak. When you sweat & burn up calories to fast. You are burning up electrolites. Which can not be replenished with "just water". Electrolites regulate bodily functions. When they are a skew. IF...they are. So are you. Be observant, Life is most fragile.
I can definitely relate to that. It was miserable, especially when you know what to do to help it and it isn’t helping. Before the cold shower and IV everything was just slowing the decline. The cold shower and IV stabilized and then lots of sleep and drinking electrolytes and fluids over the next 24 hours helped the improvement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back