Caribou Gear

Heat Stroke Sucks

Dsnow9

Just a PSA. I know better and have been first aid certified for the last 25 years. Don’t mess with heat stoke, stay hydrated and take breaks. Yesterday it was almost a hundred degrees here and I did tree work from 7 to 3. I was drinking water but water alone will not keep you hydrated. Keep some powered or supplement around to mix with every couple bottles of water. Declining fast we were on the way home and had some vehicle troubles. In a truck with no ac I was going down fast. Did everything I could to stay cool but it was a rough battle for a couple hours. Finally made it home and got an at home IV company to come by. 24 hours later I am starting to feel back to normal.

Stay hydrated with more than just water and take your breaks everyone. It’s not worth the risk.

AD35861B-A93B-47BD-91FC-26B3CD45AD73.jpeg

Great advice. Heat stroke is nothing to mess with and can come on quickly. Most cases should be tended to by medical personnel to make sure that long term damage does not occur. Glad you are feeling better.

Just a PSA. I know better and have been first aid certified for the last 25 years. Don’t mess with heat stoke, stay hydrated and take breaks. Yesterday it was almost a hundred degrees here and I did tree work from 7 to 3. I was drinking water but water alone will not keep you hydrated. Keep some powered or supplement around to mix with every couple bottles of water. Declining fast we were on the way home and had some vehicle troubles. In a truck with no ac I was going down fast. Did everything I could to stay cool but it was a rough battle for a couple hours. Finally made it home and got an at home IV company to come by. 24 hours later I am starting to feel back to normal.

Stay hydrated with more than just water and take your breaks everyone. It’s not worth the risk.

View attachment 226482
Cracked lips are painful!! Yikes dude glad you’re good!

Glad you're ok.

About 12 years ago I was carrying subfloor sheeting by myself to another guy who was nailing it off on a July morning, and all of a sudden I was in trouble. I spent about an hour and a half sitting or laying down and drinking water before I was feeling OK again.

Ever since then I feel like my heat tolerance has been a little lower. I try to keep a handle on it and take breaks as needed.

Heat stroke is no joke. As a medic I’ve dumped several IV bags into folks on the fireline. You’re totally correct in saying water alone won’t cut it. I also recommend soaking a neck gaiter in ice cold water. When that thing dries up, then it’s time to stop and evaluate your condition. Drink some electrolytes, hopefully take a leak, and then determine if your in a good place to get back after it. Glad you’re ok brother!

Yep been there! I was out in a hay field shooting groundhogs. Setting out in the sun all day and I did bring a canteen of water. I didn't drink much of the water but I did let it set in the sun and get hot enough to make coffee. Shot a ground hog and went out to get it. When I bent over to pick it up I fell over and blacked out! I started shaking like I was freezing. Went over to my canteen and about puked when the hot water hit my mouth. I soaked my shirt in the hot water and set in the shade. This was way before cell phones so I couldn't call anyone. I kept calm and debated on walking 500 yds to the creek to jump in or 200 yds to my truck. I decided to get to my truck and drive up to the barn lot where there was a hydrant for the cattle. I turned the hydrant on and stuck my head under it. I proceeded to guzzle water and then puke it all up. I laid there until I felt like I could drive safely. Drove 10 miles back to our house and ran a cold bath and soaked there and sipped water. I have never felt so tired. Went to bed and woke up with the worst headache I have ever had. It took a week before I felt like myself.

Glad you’re ok man! When I was the Ops Mgr for our utility down in NorCal I had to keep a constant eye out and reminders to our tree crews and linemen with temps routinely in the 105-110 marks in the summer. Nothing to screw with!

Thanks all! I definitely think the IV was a big help. Took. Nap with my daughters today, took it easy, and loaded up on fluids. I’d say I’m back up to about 98 percent. Not working again though till Tuesday though so that will give me that much more time to recover completely.

I climbed trees on the front range for a few years before going back to school to get my teacher certification. It is a special kind of suffering to be in a tree all day, always in a race for most $ jobs in the least amount of hours, controlling heavy ass gear and wood with only the occasional reprieve of a ground guy tying on your nalgene, come down and have to chip and clean up, then drive back to the shop in a giant AC-less truck that is always on the verge of breaking down. Summers were brutal, glad you are alright.

One of the best things for hot days that I started doing a few years ago is covering up. In fact, recently I've been wearing a bamboo sun hoody from Duck Camp at work. I even have the hood up if I'm in the sun. I feel like I get a lot more cooling out of my sweat that way, and I don't think I lose liquid as fast. It takes some getting used to, but I think long sleeves and something on your head and neck is key. Plus, the older I get, the more skin cancer is on my mind.....

In 2011 drought, we where working on the ranch in 110* heat and even with frequent water and rest breaks, all three of us got heat exhaustion bordering heat stroke , once you get it , it will probably effect you for ever , I know I am still effected by heat
water intoxication is a problem to !
a nice Nicaragua palm hat with water soaked in is mandatory, truckers caps = no bueno

Have been close many times, seems I always caught myself in time. Always mix drinks(not mixed drinks,lol). Have an employee, red hair, very fair complexion. I always supply a cooler or two of gator something & he listens but it still wasn't enough. He was so scared because it hit him so fast. He now wears a big straw hat. Trying to find him a wide hardhat.
Keep hydrated.

Have been close many times, seems I always caught myself in time. Always mix drinks(not mixed drinks,lol). Have an employee, red hair, very fair complexion. I always supply a cooler or two of gator something & he listens but it still wasn't enough. He was so scared because it hit him so fast. He now wears a big straw hat. Trying to find him a wide hardhat.
Keep hydrated.

I agree with others, I wear long sleeve moisture wicking hoodies made for working in, truewerk.

Biggest lesson I learned is I need to take more breaks and bring powder to mix with my water. Also ordered some neck wraps that absorb cold water and then evaporative over a couple hours.

@Dsnow9 pedialyte is your friend from june-september. My old job I worked long hours outside all day long and one pedialyte a day on hotter days was my go to along with the normal water.

If you or someone else is experiencing heat stroke cool them down as quickly as possible. Full body immersion in water with ice is best. You need to cool the core and organs down as quickly as possible. The idea that you can cool someone down too quickly has been proven false in the most recent research.

I was a city firefighter for 28yrs & a paramedic. I had "heat exhaustion" numerous times & "heat stroke" only once. The heat stroke incident I thought I was going to die. May sound odd to some of you. But I felt my soul wanting to leave my body. As I exited the house fire we were over-hauling. I peeled off my helmet & bunker coat. I grabbed a towel from our truck & poured bottle water over my head. My body core temp felt like a hot cookie being baked. I felt like vomiting & felt very light headed. An ambulance EMT told me "you look like crap" I told him I feel like dying right now. As he poured another bottle water over my head to cool me off. He took my BP & it was so high I pegged the needle on the BP cuff gauge. I drank a gatorade off of our truck. Still felt like dying. We went back to the station & I finished my 24hr shift. The next day I still felt sick & weak. When you sweat & burn up calories to fast. You are burning up electrolites. Which can not be replenished with "just water". Electrolites regulate bodily functions. When they are a skew. IF...they are. So are you. Be observant, Life is most fragile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back