Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Heads-up dog owners!

Hunting Wife

I tend to hear about these kinds of things so thought I'd pass it along for my fellow dog lovers out there. Sounds like there continue to be active, toxin producing blue-green algae blooms in several states. I'm aware of fatal (or nearly so) canine cases in North Dakota, Nebraska and Montana for sure recently, but there could be others. Unfortunately there were no specific locations provided for these, though its possible dog owners don't know specifically where the contact occurred.

Take home message - stick to clear, cool water. If the water is discolored (usually blueish or dark green, but can be red/brown), if you see what looks like blue or green "paint" along the shoreline or in floating mats, or if it just doesn't look right keep your dog out of the water. I know, easier said than done but it takes very little toxin to cause illness or death, and it is not a particularly nice way to go. Once the weather cools down and water temperatures drop, the blooms should taper off.

You can get more information about blooms in specific areas by contacting the Health Department of the state you are interested in. State or federal wildlife agencies in the area might also be able to provide information on active blooms.

End of PSA :)

I saw the same issues in SD in the past. Some dogs got sick, some were rumored to have died after drinking lake water from the shoreline near the boat ramp. It was posted on the signs at the ramps, but unfortunately after a few instances.

I remember it in Idaho in the reservoirs that were drawn down. It would kill waterfowl too. I'd never heard of it before that. Also poisoning from eating salmon on the river banks.

Nebraska has that problem every year. I have never heard of any dead dogs because of it. They always put out warnings for humans, but not really pets. Interesting.

10 years or so ago some guys hunting the early chukar season on the Idaho side of Brownlee resv. lost a couple dogs to that.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back