PEAX Equipment

Headed for WY - SNOW!

Some of this will be repetitive but here's my experience. I was in southern WY several years ago for an antelope hunt in a nasty snowstorm. We arrived just as the rain turned to ice, that was interesting while pulling a camper. Eventually we made it safely to Medicine Bow and camped in town. The next day we went out to hunt in the snowstorm. My daughter shot her first antelope but it was not the smartest thing I have done. We nearly got stuck many times and had to pull a couple people out. The next day we thought it would be better as some of the snow had melted. Even dumber! We slid down the mud roads cutting ruts and nearly crashing with more than one ranch truck that refused to slow down and just kept hauling azz and sliding past us with mud flying everywhere. The third day we stayed on the hard surfaces and better quality gravel roads. The 4th day it was dried out halfway decent. Point being - WAIT it out. Don't go on the dirt roads until it has a chance to melt and dry out or freeze completely solid which I highly doubt will happen.

Thanks! I’m going to keep us on the good gravel roads and stay off the dirt if we can avoid it.

Been planning on leaving Milwaukee at 5 pm on Thursday and arriving in Casper on Friday morning for the last few months. Let the rodeo begin. Good luck to all in this crap.

And for crying out load bring a decent shovel. I bailed some people out one time that spent the night in the bar ditch with a broken plastic shovel. Prepare for worst case scenario if you can...

Been planning on leaving Milwaukee at 5 pm on Thursday and arriving in Casper on Friday morning for the last few months. Let the rodeo begin. Good luck to all in this crap.

Long drive. Plan to sleep at all? Or got another driver?

I am flying into Cheyanne from Texas on Thursday. From there driving to near Midwest. I'm just hoping to get to Midwest ok! Hopefully the interstate will be ok by Thursday afternoon.

Hey Lumberjack did you go to SFA ? BSF '87 myself.

Not seeing too much of the typical “you can hunt out of your Corolla” on this thread. When the weather gets Western, you need a solid rig. Good luck and safe travels. The interstate shut down for a bit when I was on my WYO deer hunt last season.

Supposed to move out but the airport tells me via facebook they are assessing conditions and will have updates within the hour.

Not a lot of snow here in Laramie but it's cold and iffy on the roads. Any updates around the state?
I have 10 degrees on my thermo. with a nice little breeze. Maybe an inch of snow. The light rain /mist last night before the snow didn't help the roads. We had thunder, lightning and snow all at one point.

Casper has 2-3”. Haven’t ventured out yet, but the traffic is moving and the schools are open.

We had a successful hunt yesterday and glad to fill my buck tag before the weather got interesting. Snow aside, this cold and wind is ridiculous!

Onward to doe hunting!

Bad news on flights to Cheyenne. Check their webpage or facebook page for Cheyenne Regional Airport, flight tracker has the update posted.

We have a full on snowstorm south of you in CO. Already have an inch or two on the ground and it's snowing pretty hard. Glad for the change in weather and glad I don't have to hunt in it :)

Just scattered snow here in Buffalo. It is cold, 20F and some wind, but I can see what appears to be clearing skies to the northwest. This is at 8:55 AM.

ClearCreek

I had guys return to Cheyenne from Rapid City, SD and they reported roads were improving. Forecast looks good for the next few days.

The snow’s picked up again in Casper, but the roads are okay thus far. Y’all ain’t kidding about this mud. We’ve managed to stay out of it for the most part, but I’ve seen enough today to understand how bad it can be. It’s a special kind of sticky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back