Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Headed for WY - SNOW!

SticksMcKinley

I'm headed for antelope hunting in central Wyoming this week and it looks like we might have 2-4 inches of snow on Wednesday and Thursday. I've not been there in wet or snowy weather, so any tips for dealing with both the antelope and the roads would be much appreciated.

It's suppose to be so darn cold Wed night, Thursday and Friday I am thinking there will be no mud to deal with until it warms up enough to melt.

I'm in the exact same boat. Just sent you a PM with details.

Kevin, that's what I'm banking on. The snow stays snow and is manageable until probably Saturday.

I almost canceled the trip, but instead moved our flights up so we can beat the storm to WY. Prior flights were arriving in Denver at 11 PM Wednesday which would have been miserable to reach WY, now we're getting in around 930 AM so hoping to make it in before roads get too nasty Wednesday night. Brace for whatever the storm throws at us and then do the best we can Thursday til Saturday AM.

It will be cold and if the snow amounts materialized roads may close. Be prepared for extreme cold and impassable roads.
Gravel county roads should be good but the BLM roads can and probably will be impassable til they dry out.
Don't pull down someone's fence trying to winch off of it would be my advice.

That too.
I understand your post, just pointed out the obvious to those who don't know.
This storm may be a good one, but short lived. Road closures may happen but hopefully for only a day or so, or part of a day. Beware of I-80 and the trucks on snowy days.

Thanks very much for the replies! That's a very good piece of advice about not waiting too long on thawing roads - thank you. I'll be doing my best to avoid the snow going in and trying to find a way to hunt while it's on the ground if at all possible.

I don't recall any completely paved roads near our hunting area, so I'm just going to have to play it by ear with road conditions and won't take any unnecessary chances.

How do the antelope typically behave during snowy conditions? My understanding is that they don't see very well when the snow is coming down. Do they tend to move when snow's on the ground or stay put? I would think they'd need to move around some, but don't know.

I'm in the exact same boat. Just sent you a PM with details.

Kevin, that's what I'm banking on. The snow stays snow and is manageable until probably Saturday.

I almost canceled the trip, but instead moved our flights up so we can beat the storm to WY. Prior flights were arriving in Denver at 11 PM Wednesday which would have been miserable to reach WY, now we're getting in around 930 AM so hoping to make it in before roads get too nasty Wednesday night. Brace for whatever the storm throws at us and then do the best we can Thursday til Saturday AM.

PM replied!

Thanks - I was afraid someone might say that. I’m renting a truck from the airport, so I doubt that’s going to be an option.

Ask around in any towns close by if anyone there rents out chains. Truck stops. etc. Look up on the net for chain rental in Wyoming.

Thanks - I was afraid someone might say that. I’m renting a truck from the airport, so I doubt that’s going to be an option.
Rental truck tires are going to be all seasons anyway so yea, stick to county and paved roads and walk more. I don't hunt speed goats a ton but in my experience they act like any ungulate in storms. Look for them in swales and valleys.

No such luck with online searches and I'm fairly certain chain use on rental vehicles is strictly prohibited. Plight of the East-West traveling hunter.

Maybe get some Peerless Z-Chains or similar? They're much lighter weight and you could take the in your luggage. I have a set that I take with me out west though I've never had to use them. You might need to know the truck tire size though. You might be able to figure that out if you know what brand truck you might get.

I'd probably stick to the hard roads as much as possible and just walk a little more than originally anticipated.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back