Headed for WY - SNOW!

I am thinking there will be no mud to deal with until it warms up enough to melt.

I highly doubt it'll get cold enough to freeze the ground hard, particularly if there is a snow layer on top.

I'd probably stick to the hard roads as much as possible and just walk a little more than originally anticipated.

This is my thought. I would guess putting any chains and/or cables on a rental is going to put you on the hook for any damage that may happen to it as a result. Stick to paved roads and/or primary graveled county roads. The tires on your rental will suck completely. Take your time and have a good trip.

I think rental car companies technically don't "let" you take their vehicles off of pavement. You could look at cancelling your rental and seeing if there are any jeep rental operations in the area you are going to or try Turo or one of the other crowd sourced rental companies.

It'll be a rodeo on two tracks by late morning Friday I bet. Just how it goes, county and oil/gas gravel is your friend. My 11 yr old will get his exercise following me around the sludge.

Thanks, all! Like dihardhunter, I will likely avoid putting chains on the rental. I don't have any experience with them anyway, so I'll just try to deal with the roads and use them when it seems prudent to do so. I really appreciate all the replies and advice. Just hoping we'll have a good time and maybe punch a tag! Thanks again.

It'll be a rodeo on two tracks by late morning Friday I bet. Just how it goes, county and oil/gas gravel is your friend. My 11 yr old will get his exercise following me around the sludge.

I can avoid the two-tracks. County gravel might be ok, you think? Those are really my main concern. I'll deal with walking if I can safely reach a decent spot to get out and hike.

Wyoming mud is terrible. Don't underestimate it. I did thinking it couldn't be worse than slick, wet red clay, but it's slicker somehow and sticks to every little thing you will have on you.

Are you camping or staying at a hotel?

If camping, the best idea would be to camp along a paved or gravel road that has a decent chunk of huntable land within walking distance, if such a place exists.

I've sacrificed hunting days to lay around camp before in rough weather like that. It's a bummer to lose hunting days, but usually not a make/break type deal with pronghorn as long as you've got adequate time set aside.

We hunted over by Saratoga last Thursday and it was 16 that morning. The ground was frozen solid and every place that had standing water was frozen as well. We're getting some good cold for a few days, things will freeze.
County roads will be good gravel but could have small drifts with snow and wind. Have a shovel for digging out just in case.

We are in the same boat. We were planning to hunt Wednesday-Saturday, but with the storm I think we will drive up Friday and try to be done by Saturday. We have doe tags.

If anyone has any advice for the "best" roads to stick to in area 72 knowing things could get dicey a PM would sure be appreciated. We have a 4x4 truck and chains, but really would rather not have to get off the county gravel roads.

Coming in hot Wednesday night but hunting South Daktoa and Montana. I called rental car place in Rapid, they don't have chains for their rental truck. We are getting 6-8 inches in my hunt areas Wed night into Thursday morning, should be interesting.

Going to drive on blacktop or county roads Thursday and be ready to hike it out from there. I'm afraid of what everything will look like once it melts.

I am flying into Cheyanne from Texas on Thursday. From there driving to near Midwest. I'm just hoping to get to Midwest ok! Hopefully the interstate will be ok by Thursday afternoon.

Working in ND this week and was going to drive to Gillette on Wednesday evening and hunt Thursday Friday for doe antelope, then drive back to MN. I just cancelled my hotel in Gillette. Good luck to those who decide to stick it out -and stay safe!

I crested a dirt road's hill in Montana south of Great Falls. Was an inch or so of snow from prior day. Montana mud is "nicer" than Wyoming. As crested the hill on the 30F afternoon the south-facing slope was melted. My SUV began to slide. Brakes did no good so was a rodeo. I tried to steer on the humped road that wanted to pitch me left or right into a ditch. I tapped brakes, kept in low gear, cranked steering wheel and made it to the bottom of that hill. I then was on the flats. Yippee! But, could not get back up the hill and the melted snow had created several inches of mud on the flats and ruts existed from prior freeze/thaw/rain events since the last roadgrading. I soon had mud packed inside the wheels and lights began flashing as I powered on like the Neanderthal I am. I got to an asphalt road about 2 hours later of avoiding the deepest runs and ditches and fence posts. I had mud on the hood, windshield, mirrors, etc as would crank wheel left and right to keep moving.

As got onto the asphalt I could now go over 10mph and things shook as mud cleared from the tire threads and was falling from the wheel wells. I tore some stuff between the tire and the chassis. Brake boots? About $1200 of repairs but did not keep me from finishing the hunt before made the repairs. I spent about an hour spraying mud from inside the wheels and wheel wells as temps fell into the 20Fs.

So, be smarter than me.

I had driven about 4 miles on that road before cresting the hill. Things were solid and I was headed to scout for opening morning. I did not think that road would be anything but solid the rest of the way. Doh!

Last edited:
We’re headed out tonight and I sure do appreciate all the words of warning and advice. To all who will be likewise forging ahead into this mess, good luck and stay safe!

Some of this will be repetitive but here's my experience. I was in southern WY several years ago for an antelope hunt in a nasty snowstorm. We arrived just as the rain turned to ice, that was interesting while pulling a camper. Eventually we made it safely to Medicine Bow and camped in town. The next day we went out to hunt in the snowstorm. My daughter shot her first antelope but it was not the smartest thing I have done. We nearly got stuck many times and had to pull a couple people out. The next day we thought it would be better as some of the snow had melted. Even dumber! We slid down the mud roads cutting ruts and nearly crashing with more than one ranch truck that refused to slow down and just kept hauling azz and sliding past us with mud flying everywhere. The third day we stayed on the hard surfaces and better quality gravel roads. The 4th day it was dried out halfway decent. Point being - WAIT it out. Don't go on the dirt roads until it has a chance to melt and dry out or freeze completely solid which I highly doubt will happen.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back