Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Having a good dog

Akcabin

Through the years we've had a few dogs. And blessed to have a 2 that seemed like the one in a million. Both Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Chessys fit into our ak weather just fine.
Our first chessy was an adoption. Neighbors moved and needed a home for their dog. Oby was built like a tank. Grew up on a short chain of a dogsled team. When he realized what freedom was he acted like he owed his life to us.
Ruby is our third. I didn't even know we were getting a new dog until I was told we were going to the airport to get a new dog. Beautiful wife n daughter thing. When they told me a chessy, yeee haaaah. They have become a breed that just fits my style. I enjoy being out. And live in AK. We need a guard dog. And they are are great at keeping folks out but we also have to deal with moose in our yard during the winter. And probably a few other critters. Bears n such.
I remember, went ice fishing. Took Oby as usual. I'm fishing while he's laying in the ice water that was melting near a ice fishing shack for the day. It's water.
Ruby is a female and a first for me. I wasn't sure what to expect but she's as tough in physical as she is in mental.
And has taken to my training her to hunt moose antlers. And as a retriever she's won every bet for several years. I throw something n she goes n retrieves it. We have nearly 4' of snow on the ground and she will retrieve from a throw that she can't see. I will give her a general direction with a point of my arm. She will plow through that snow all day. And never miss a retrieve. Was using a 2"x3" piece of 1/2" plywood for a toy. And it would get burried in the snow. Yeah she'll find it too.
I use a hand command every time I give an instruction. Since a pup. So now when walking through a door, I make a slight fist she sits. Wait is another hand signal. OK or hunt it up is a slight twitch of my finger.
She is healthy, over weight through the winter though. Life is much easier during the winter when she's inside and not outside guarding our family from those evil moose eating our berry bushes.
Eye's of a dog tell me a lot. And the devotion in this one runs deep with no doubt. When a chess has a job they are happy happy happy. And tough as any little cub bear out there. Yes she totally has the ability to get any job done that she physically can and won't stop, period. Until you call come Ruby.
And a real relief when she's eye to eye with a moose. And that happens regularly so extra nice.
She is actually my grandsons dog. Our daughter wanted a dog for her son to grow up with. She chose a chessy just like she grew up with. Obviously in her mind. And I've had the pleasure to get to work her. We'll be out this spring n see if we can find any drops. We use them for chews. Nice ones get hung around.
For those folks that haven't had a chance to watch a good retriever work it is a pleasure. And being able to have one of those dogs that tells you that they trust you and will always help any way that they can. No matter. Or my family.
She tells me every time that I look her in the eye, and say thank you girl

Attachments

• 20210409_081251.jpg
    20210409_081251.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 17
I totally understand and especially like your description of Oby. We had a rescue picked up from the local shelter ourselves. Registered chocolate lab that seemed to have a strange upbringing. Unsocialized with other dogs but knew many tricks. After she had 5 re-homings and subsequent returns to the shelter, she was probably on her way out with the shelter due to age and socialization issues. Very calm and dignified gal and sort of stand-off-ish. We had to let our last dog go due to age and all our travel plans cancelled due to the start of COVID (2020). Decided another dog would be the right thing at that moment. We picked her even though she was an older dog (9.5 yrs old.). Just something about her. Took nearly 6mos to get her settled but after that, she decided we were her people and became the most loving dog anyone could imagine. She had several health issues but we dealt with those along the way. Finally in January this year, she was reaching the end of her time. Degenerative nerve disorder was limiting her movement and she was very unsteady and we decided to let her finally rest. That one affected me the most out of all the dogs we have ever had. Weird how that works. Almost teared-up again just writing this. Very good dog.

My brother had a chessy named Buddy, he spent most of his life on the stock pond digging for sticks. He would drag back stocks, rocks or even tires for you to throw.
Smelled really bad but he was ever so pleased with himself.

Lost our little sassy girl (5 months old female lab) a few weeks back in a tragic accident at our house. There isn't a moment of the day that goes by that I don't think about what kind of dog she was going to turn into. Dogs really are man's best friend. I wish they lived forever.

69151606887__A22D6139-2C00-42EE-A158-004FBAD9A3A4.jpg

38 years of owning dogs and I never had a dog die young. Thats a different kind of pain for sure.

We had a cockapoo once that loved to chase the snowshoe hares. He'd dive right into a snow covered brush pile. Beautiful wife hated that dog.
Our chessys have been trained to pull a sled for our kids. I bought a freight harness and they would pull a plastic snow sled. Go on hike !
One thing that I believe. There is good dogs ok dogs n trouble dogs. If they don't work out I don't keep them n put myself through years of angst. The correct dog is out there and I prefer to have the dog that is right for me n our family

Lost our little sassy girl (5 months old female lab) a few weeks back in a tragic accident at our house. There isn't a moment of the day that goes by that I don't think about what kind of dog she was going to turn into. Dogs really are man's best friend. I wish they lived forever.

View attachment 270049

38 years of owning dogs and I never had a dog die young. Thats a different kind of pain for sure.
my heart goes out to you man... having just said goodbye to our 13.5 year old black lab, its so hard. I cannot imagine losing a young pup :(

my heart goes out to you man... having just said goodbye to our 13.5 year old black lab, its so hard. I cannot imagine losing a young pup :(
Thanks.

I’m normally cold as ice, but I got to be 100% honest with you….It was soul crushing…..in a bad way.

I’ve decided that from now on if my dog begs for a chip or a french fry, they are getting 2 of them.

I never had kids of my own. But, I have no idea how a parent deals with loosing a child young. I don’t think I could handle it. Especially if it was my fault.

My family learned a lot about each other over the past 3 weeks. We got our chins up now and we are moving forward with life.

Through the years we've had a few dogs. And blessed to have a 2 that seemed like the one in a million. Both Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Chessys fit into our ak weather just fine.
Our first chessy was an adoption. Neighbors moved and needed a home for their dog. Oby was built like a tank. Grew up on a short chain of a dogsled team. When he realized what freedom was he acted like he owed his life to us.
Ruby is our third. I didn't even know we were getting a new dog until I was told we were going to the airport to get a new dog. Beautiful wife n daughter thing. When they told me a chessy, yeee haaaah. They have become a breed that just fits my style. I enjoy being out. And live in AK. We need a guard dog. And they are are great at keeping folks out but we also have to deal with moose in our yard during the winter. And probably a few other critters. Bears n such.
I remember, went ice fishing. Took Oby as usual. I'm fishing while he's laying in the ice water that was melting near a ice fishing shack for the day. It's water.
Ruby is a female and a first for me. I wasn't sure what to expect but she's as tough in physical as she is in mental.
And has taken to my training her to hunt moose antlers. And as a retriever she's won every bet for several years. I throw something n she goes n retrieves it. We have nearly 4' of snow on the ground and she will retrieve from a throw that she can't see. I will give her a general direction with a point of my arm. She will plow through that snow all day. And never miss a retrieve. Was using a 2"x3" piece of 1/2" plywood for a toy. And it would get burried in the snow. Yeah she'll find it too.
I use a hand command every time I give an instruction. Since a pup. So now when walking through a door, I make a slight fist she sits. Wait is another hand signal. OK or hunt it up is a slight twitch of my finger.
She is healthy, over weight through the winter though. Life is much easier during the winter when she's inside and not outside guarding our family from those evil moose eating our berry bushes.
Eye's of a dog tell me a lot. And the devotion in this one runs deep with no doubt. When a chess has a job they are happy happy happy. And tough as any little cub bear out there. Yes she totally has the ability to get any job done that she physically can and won't stop, period. Until you call come Ruby.
And a real relief when she's eye to eye with a moose. And that happens regularly so extra nice.
She is actually my grandsons dog. Our daughter wanted a dog for her son to grow up with. She chose a chessy just like she grew up with. Obviously in her mind. And I've had the pleasure to get to work her. We'll be out this spring n see if we can find any drops. We use them for chews. Nice ones get hung around.
For those folks that haven't had a chance to watch a good retriever work it is a pleasure. And being able to have one of those dogs that tells you that they trust you and will always help any way that they can. No matter. Or my family.
She tells me every time that I look her in the eye, and say thank you girl
Wow, that's about the sweetest tribute to a dog I've ever read.

Thanks folks. Ruby is the star here. It's amazing how fast she picks up things, she wants to do anyhows. I just hang out with her a bit every day. But it's almost like we can talk, she looks into my eyes.
If you haven't been around chessapeaks, they are more similar to a black bear cub than a dog. Tough in body and mind. All work although she'd crawl up in your arms if you let her.
The dog makes life easier in many ways. And watching a dog on the hunt for something is like watching an artist, brushing back n forth without effort and making it look beautiful. Or maybe it's just how they crawl into your arms

IMG_4256.jpeg
You have a wonderful dog…there’s nothing like a great dog…this is my new puppy…he’s 9 months old and already 73 pounds. He meets me everyday when I get home from work. They are the most loyal friends you’ll ever have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back