Have you ever seen a wolverine in the wild?

Have you seen a Wolverine in the Wild? If yes, share the state or country.

• Yes

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 70 65.4%

• Total voters
No. I live in SE Idaho and my friend who is the biologist for Forest Service says they have gotten one on a trail camera (after finding tracks) a few miles from my house but way high up. I lion hunt and spend a lot of time walking in snow but haven't seen tracks. I imagine they can stay pretty high in snow but don't know anything about them other than that they're neat.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many. 30+ here in AK at least. Saw 8 in one hunting season. I usually see a couple a year or more. I have a few crappy pics. I've seen way more wolverines than wolves. :) I think there are a lot more of them than people realize.

I've had them steal sheep meat 2x.

Have also seen two in MT, one in the Madison range and one near Black Butte

One quite a few years ago. Won’t say where as you’d think I was even more full of shit than normal. Way before I had a camera always in my pocket. Was driving along on the 4wheeler when it came across the road. Was such in shock when I seen it that I bailed off the 4wheeler and took off after it to get a better look. Eventually make my way back to the 4wheeler to find its no longer where I left it but 100 yards down the hill in a buffalo berry bush. Forgot to set the brake when I bailed

Yes, Idaho/Montana border in the Great Burn roadless area while elk hunting...was close, maybe 30 yards away and like others have said, constantly on the move.

Cut tracks 3 different times while hunting, once in Wyoming hunting with Greenhorn and 2 other times hunting goats in Montana.

Tracks every now and then while trapping Montana.

I'm not sure how many. 30+ here in AK at least. Saw 8 in one hunting season. I usually see a couple a year or more. I have a few crappy pics. I've seen way more wolverines than wolves. :) I think there are a lot more of them than people realize.

I've had them steal sheep meat 2x.

Have also seen two in MT, one in the Madison range and one near Black Butte
like this gentleman, I have no idea how many. We trap both the wolverine and lynx, but the season is over for this year. The "Territory" thinks we have approx 6000 Wolverines but have no idea how many Lynx

The one that I have seen was running up the Going to the Sun road in Glacier, just west of Logan pass. We were driving west shortly after sunrise, it was running towards us. I wasn't sure what it was until it turned and started up the mountain.

It stopped maybe thirty yards above us, and conveniently there was some room to pull to the side of the road. It watched us for perhaps a minute, then ran up the side of the mountain like it was nothing.

Back