Have Any of You Observed a Wildlife Law Violation ? What Did you Do ?

Dude, stop taking what I say out of context. Just stop. Figured you had more maturity than that. Never said it wasn't an offense. And I certainly never said I drove back out to pick up another limit. But as others here have posted about the same "offense" it seems this accident is not uncommon. It is poaching to exceed the limit if one does it purposely. When dealing with a shotgun, there's multiple projectiles and it's not always easy to predict how each one will perform when there's multiple potential targets in the air (especially steel shot on windy days). And I'm betting you have exceeded your daily bag limit of waterfowl on many occasions when others in your party have used the birds to fill their bag. A very common practice but still technically it's breaking the law. I rarely have had the opportunity for this kind of "poaching" because I hunt alone. In fact, the one time I hunted Sask with a party I made it clear from day one that I wouldn't be shooting anyone's geese and I would appreciate it if I got to shoot my own too. Not to worry. The shooting was never that good anyway.
Hold on, So it’s only Poaching if you commit the offense purposely?? (Your words) That’s not how it works it’s poaching whether you meant to
Do it or not. But you already know that because you know if you self reported that you would be charged.

Few years ago in eastern Wyo, I found myself square in the middle of a giant walk-in section. I thought I was alone until a truck came rumbling over the hill. They came to a stop when they saw me and took back to the road. Couldn't believe it. Once I got into cell range I passed the plate number to game and fish.

There’s a dove with a hurt wing in my yard. I considered snapping its neck and eating it for dinner but then I remembered this thread and the fact that they are protected under the migratory bird treaty act and are a game animal. I didn’t want my neighbor showing up here to post about how he just turned in a dove poacher.

When dealing with a shotgun, there's multiple projectiles and it's not always easy to predict how each one will perform when there's multiple potential targets in the air (especially steel shot on windy days).

If any boys and girls of Hunter's Ed 101 are following this, DON'T FLOCK SHOOT, if multiple birds are close together DON'T PULL THE DANG TRIGGER, aim at ONE BIRD at a time!

...also, @OntarioHunter , you reeeeaaally need step away from this thread, trust me

Last edited:
I had some cameras hung along some logging roads. Whole tract was gated and not actively being logged. Man did I get pictures of trucks and 4 wheelers galore. Emailed the warden to ask if they wanted them and they said absolutely. Later that year I was at a check station and the warden mentioned that they were really trying to put a stop to the unlawful riding. Seemed to help for that year at least.

Funny enough, I got checked by that same warden once more that fall and then again during turkey season. He remembered me as "the guy that drives a Camry".

Sorry trying to add humor, but this is severe violation in my opinion. 2 bucks. Of course me watching them probably is some type of violation.

Attachments

• 66E0955C-1809-4310-BF13-632A12DE1DAD.jpeg
    66E0955C-1809-4310-BF13-632A12DE1DAD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • CAFEF5EA-8521-461A-9EF7-0EADAAB08991.jpeg
    CAFEF5EA-8521-461A-9EF7-0EADAAB08991.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
This is so silly. I'm surprised someone who actually has some experience with waterfowl hunting hasn't chimed in. Well, actually a few have.

In the context: We have unlimited possession here. That means I can have a warehouse of frozen geese and be legal. Daily limit doubles to ten during the first two weeks (and throughout the season in the goofy jurisdictions down east that don't allow Sunday hunting). Daily limit of white geese is twenty and possession on them has been unlimited here for as long as I have hunted them. Up north the daily limit on them doubles to forty. The explanation is we have way too many of the damn things. Two of the farms I hunt have destruction permits for geese and cranes. The farmers or their assigned agents can kill as many geese and cranes as they have ammo to shoot. Fred has asked me if he could name me but I have declined, ostensibly because I don't want my dogs tangling with crippled cranes. The real reason is birds destroyed must be left on the field. I just can't do that. And if I was named as a destroyer, I would be expected to kill hundreds of birds and let them rot. Maybe they need to be killed but I can't do that. So in that context what is one accidental goose over the daily limit? The wardens have better things to do at that time of the year than mess with some hero who wants to beat himself up over accidentally shooting one too many flying nuisances. Big game season opens at the peak of the brief waterfowl migration and the wardens here have their hands full trying to look after a resource that is genuinely struggling (three years ago adult moose tags in this district were dropped from 700 to 75). Sure, anyone who makes a habit of shooting over his daily limit, even if it's only one bird, needs to be sorted out. No excuse for that. Anyone who feels some desperate need to just shoot stuff for the hell of it can get on the farmer's list and his wanton wastefulness becomes legal. I think if I self reported for accidentally shooting one goose over my daily bag, the authorities here would think I was either nuts or wasting their time to make myself look good ... to myself. If I was caught driving home with ONE extra accidental goose then the warden is in a tough spot as I explained above. Why didn't I just leave it in the field and save everyone a lot of trouble? So I make two trips to make the best of an accidentally bad situation.

Witnessed and reported lots of friggin poachers. Bald eagles, swans, snow geese out of season all shot, off duty cop shooting from the road and trespassing, fishing overlimits, a meth lab at a fishing site, spotlighting, hunting in a closed area, etc. Just a small snippet of what I ran across as non-enforcement for FnG. I will report everytime I witness something that is misdemeanor and above. Not that hard to do everything legally.

off duty cop shooting from the road and trespassing,
Ooh ooh I forgot about that one. Unfortunately back before the days of phones with cameras. Cousin and I were somewhere around high school age. Had some deer out in front of us that were visible to the road. ON DUTY local cop went passed a few times. Where we were hunting was close to a newly built building that had not yet been finished. It was the weekend so the building was empty of anyone working. Anyhow he parks behind the building about 1/3 mile from the deer. Or at least that's where we assume he parked. Sure as shit here he comes in full uniform pistol drawn on the other side of the field putting the stalk on the deer. He got to within about 70 yards and they took off. Never saw us. Still to this day I dont think either of our parents believe us.

This is so silly. I'm surprised someone who actually has some experience with waterfowl hunting hasn't chimed in. Well, actually a few have.
I think you just don’t like that the experienced waterfowlers who have chimed in don’t agree with you.

I’ve killed lots of birds. Have killed multiples with a single shot on occasion, and not particularly proud of it. I have never over bagged. If I’m one short, I either wait for a single or *gasp* just go home short. The need to kill a limit just isn’t so great that I feel compelled to take risky shots.

Over bagging is over bagging. Intentional or not. Just as ignorance of regulations is no excuse for breaking them, poor decision making on shots is no excuse for over bagging. Yes, accidents happen but just own it.

Making two trips to pick up your “other” limit is actually a pretty common strategy...among poachers. I suspect many wardens who caught you in the midst of this exercise would be more pissed than if they just stopped you with an extra bird. I can think of several who would be more than happy to “waste their time” on that.

I’ve killed lots of birds. Have killed multiples with a single shot on occasion, and not particularly proud of it. I have never over bagged. If I’m one short, I either wait for a single or *gasp* just go home short. The need to kill a limit just isn’t so great that I feel compelled to take risky shots.

This is exactly what we teach our children when they start waterfowl hunting.

In the context: We have unlimited possession here. That means I can have a warehouse of frozen geese and be legal. Daily limit doubles to ten during the first two weeks (and throughout the season in the goofy jurisdictions down east that don't allow Sunday hunting). Daily limit of white geese is twenty and possession on them has been unlimited here for as long as I have hunted them. Up north the daily limit on them doubles to forty. The explanation is we have way too many of the damn things. Two of the farms I hunt have destruction permits for geese and cranes. The farmers or their assigned agents can kill as many geese and cranes as they have ammo to shoot. Fred has asked me if he could name me but I have declined, ostensibly because I don't want my dogs tangling with crippled cranes. The real reason is birds destroyed must be left on the field. I just can't do that. And if I was named as a destroyer, I would be expected to kill hundreds of birds and let them rot. Maybe they need to be killed but I can't do that. So in that context what is one accidental goose over the daily limit? The wardens have better things to do at that time of the year than mess with some hero who wants to beat himself up over accidentally shooting one too many flying nuisances. Big game season opens at the peak of the brief waterfowl migration and the wardens here have their hands full trying to look after a resource that is genuinely struggling (three years ago adult moose tags in this district were dropped from 700 to 75). Sure, anyone who makes a habit of shooting over his daily limit, even if it's only one bird, needs to be sorted out. No excuse for that. Anyone who feels some desperate need to just shoot stuff for the hell of it can get on the farmer's list and his wanton wastefulness becomes legal. I think if I self reported for accidentally shooting one goose over my daily bag, the authorities here would think I was either nuts or wasting their time to make myself look good ... to myself. If I was caught driving home with ONE extra accidental goose then the warden is in a tough spot as I explained above. Why didn't I just leave it in the field and save everyone a lot of trouble? So I make two trips to make the best of an accidentally bad situation.
Don’t stop now just ‘cause it’s late, you’re winning!

My camp was three miles in behind a closed gate at 11pm a four wheeler motored past the camp. We saddled up and rode out to the gate and waited for them. We had a stand-off at the gate where they blew us off and took off down the main road. We drove into town, picked up a deputy, FS law enforcement and waited for them at the bottom. Fish and game also showed up and since they had "lost" the tag they had to walk the 9miles back where they shot it, admit not only to being behind a closure with a motor vehicle, but driving on a road that had a year-round closure to motor vehicles. It cost them $950 a piece and we haven't cut vehicle tracks since. (They did find their tag where it fell off)

They couldn't understand why that wasn't legal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back