Hating the 7mm Rem. Mag

Pointer,

What would lead you to believe that the 6mm could use some attention???

Actually, thats the next on the list...

A guy gave my wife 18 boxes of 7 mm Mag...[ 5 yrs ago] he was cleaning out a room... I had to go find a rifle... found a rugar almost new for $200. 4x12 scope.. the thing shoots "dimes"... has awesome knockdown ELK/DEER.. kills anything in North America 170 grn.... What in the hell.. not to like about it?

I think the main concern for a 7 Mag is making sure the right bullet is used and I'm not talking accuracy.....it is a bit more critical with this rifle to make sure you're not using too hard of a bullet for whatever quarry you're after....I've seen numerous elk shot with a 7 Mag in the vitals and they just freeze or act like they weren't hit even though they were dead on their feet.....Yeah, the guy Big Fin overheard was embellishing a bit but whittle away and there is a little bit of truth there, I think. Less margin of error with this caliber....just my opinion of course.

Can that be said for other calibers or only the 7mm?

Yes, but particularly the 7mm because of it's velocity. For whatever reason that caliber at that speed requires certain things to expand effectively...for example, my 30-06 shoots core-lokts great and is deadly with them, however my 25-06 shoots core-lokts great but the bullet sucks in that caliber on game and I don't use them. Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm speaking off of my experiences with these calibers.

What do you think?

What do you think?

I don't know. I am not much of a ballistic/bullet guy, but I have killed a few deer, mountain goats and elk with my WSM and haven't seen a problem. Maybe it was the NP bullets I was using. This is the first I have heard about a caliber that won't perform due to excessive velocity, but as I mentioned, I am not very knowledgeable in that department.

Buzz,

I have used my 7MM exclusively for the last ten years. I handload 160 grain Nosler partitions for caribou, elk, etc. and 139 Hornady boattail spire points for antelope, whitetail, etc. Both loads give me fabulous accuracy and devastating results on all animals. It has done everything I have ever asked of it. To say I am pleased with its performance would be an understatement!

The 7MM's velocity creates no terminal deficiency IMO. There is less than 10% MV gain between a 140 and 160 gr. NP in 7 Rem Mag or 7 WSM according to the premium ammo ball charts.

I don't know. I am not much of a ballistic/bullet guy, but I have killed a few deer, mountain goats and elk with my WSM and haven't seen a problem. Maybe it was the NP bullets I was using. This is the first I have heard about a caliber that won't perform due to excessive velocity, but as I mentioned, I am not very knowledgeable in that department.

I'm no ballistics guy either, don't even reload.....I think hard bullets can be a problem in any caliber but from what I have seen they seem to be a bigger problem with this caliber.

Just for kicks try some 120's in that thing over some RL19 and see what you get. Damn nice lope round if it shoot them well. My WSM shoots them 3520 FPS well under an inch

schmalts,

If I wanted to shoot a 120 grain bullet, I'd buy a 25/06.

Never did like shooting light-for-caliber bullets...seems a waste to me.

Plus, I'm shooting 160's "well under an inch" now...

Thanks all the same though for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

schmalts,

If I wanted to shoot a 120 grain bullet, I'd buy a 25/06.

Never did like shooting light-for-caliber bullets...seems a waste to me.

Plus, I'm shooting 160's "well under an inch" now...

Thanks all the same though for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

I forgot, you like to get close to your targets:D How flat is the 25-06 with a 120?

The 7 is a great round in my opinion. Can't beat the high BC bullet selection. I don't shoot one myself but have been around several and hunted with guys who have shot them for years. Never had any problem with them shooting or killing game.

I love the 7mm bullets myself. I shoot a .280AI, 168gr. bullet with less powder and less recoil, at close to the same speed as the big 7's. Accuracy is stellar.

I think hard bullets can be a problem in any caliber but from what I have seen they seem to be a bigger problem with this caliber.
That's the beauty of the Partition. The front half acts like a soft bullet and the back acts like a hard one! I've never had anything but excellent results from them even on fawn pronghorns.

7mm.........................best round on the planet:)...........and I will be sticking to that considering that my trusty ol 7mag just saved my life about a week ago when a rather pissed off grizzly bear decided that I would be the brunt of its pissed offness:eek:

160 grain barnes triple shock with 70 grains of RE 25 in the plane jane Model 700 ADL is shooting a 5 shot 5/8" group at 100 yards............And thankfully it was in my hands last week or I likely might not have gotten to throw in my 2 cents...

I would say that matching the bullet to the velocity and to the target species is important, no matter what caliber you are shooting. If I shoot a 250 gr .358 partition out of my .358 Win, it is going to lack expansion after about 250 yards - the velocity just isn't going to be there for proper expansion, certainly not at 300 yards. Similarly, a 100 gr Sierra out of my .257 Wthby at 100 yards or less is going to be a bomb and not suitable for large game. Not the bullet or caliber's fault - just matching design specs to desired performance.

Last edited:
Had the 7Mag as "go to" for around 30 years...all my Elk, muleys, speed gotes and sheep plus over half of my African stuff died by it...I even had Superior load me some solids for shooting little guys in Africa so I would not blow them in half, at the request of my SA taxidermist after I blew a 7"+ Steenbok almost in two and told him to fix it for a full body mount!

Bit of verticle stringing Buzz, I'd check the bedding :D, almost bought a 7mm magnum this last week in a Remmie 700, but found a Brno ZKK in 7x64 instead, phew almost went over to the dark side and bought an American rifle :p :D

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back