Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Has anyone tried the MidwayUSA brand of Merino wool?

Rico

MidwayUSA has a 100% merino mid-weight base layer that is substantially cheaper than other more well known brands. Wondering if this is a case of the others charging more simply because of their name or if it’s more of a “you get what you pay for” situation. Anyone?

Last edited:
I have the light weight and the medium weight, I really like them for the price. I don't get so much anxiety crawling through thick brush at that price point.

I’ll be hunting west Montana next year, late October. Would you guys think I should plan to layer more than one set of merinos or add a second under layer of synthetic over them? Last time I elk hunted about 15 years ago, I had the old cotton waffle thermals we use down south and nearly froze my tail off. By the third day I started layering three pairs and it got me through. Don’t want to make the same mistake twice .

A lot of factors to consider with this.

What type of hunting do you do? (Backpacking? Base camp? Bivy? Half day/full day?)

What are your insulating layers?

Is weight an issue?

Do you move a lot or sit and wait?

Merino comes in many different weights. What works for me may not work for you. I have 3 different base layer bottoms and pack what I think I will need for the occasion. My top layers don't change much based on the season.

You can look up the historical temperature trends of your area for that time of year and then build a kit from there.

As an example from last year for me:
South Central Montana.
February
High was to be -8
Danner boots with 400g thinsulate
Minus 33 wool socks
FL Allegheny bottoms
FL obsidions pants
FL minaret shirt
FL llano shirt
FL chama hoody
FL uncompagre puffy
Military surplus wool gloves
Military surplus mittens
Military surplus wool beanie
Military surplus wool scarf

I was fine as long as I was moving, but if I stopped for about 15 minutes or so my legs got really cold.

Good points Bluejeep. I didn't give much information to work with. I expect we'll be hunting for 5 or 6 days from a base camp near the truck and the plan is to hike up to glassing points each day and work from there, so there shouldn't be any reason not to pack anything I may expect to need. Great suggestion about looking up historical temperature trends, I will definitely do so.

Back