Has Anyone Here Been to The Annual Buffalo Roundup in SD?

tzone

My wife and I will be in the Black Hills in a few weeks. While we're there the annual Buffalo Roundup will be going on in Custer State Park. Supposedly it's quite a spectacle. Has anyone here watched it? Is it worth out time to see while we're there?

My wife and I will be in the Black Hills in a few weeks. While we're there the annual Buffalo Roundup will be going on in Custer State Park. Supposedly it's quite a spectacle. Has anyone here watched it? Is it worth out time to see while we're there?
No I haven’t but if I was ever in the area at the right time it would be something I’d want to see.

We've been. It's a fun event.

They don't let you shoot them with traditional archery gear though. That was a bummer.

We went 3-4 years ago. It was a good time. Wife and I enjoyed the roundup and the arts/craft festival after. A guy had some brown bear skulls and a dall sheep skull for sale.

inqas told to plan to spend the whole day there because of traffic. Is that true? Is the festival near the rest of the festivities?

inqas told to plan to spend the whole day there because of traffic. Is that true? Is the festival near the rest of the festivities?
Get there early and the crowds thin out quickly afterwards. We didn't have a problem moving between the 2 sites after the roundup. The festival was by the main lodge at the park.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631155084841.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631155084841.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1631155088556.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631155088556.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1631155092373.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631155092373.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1631155095842.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631155095842.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 17
We spent part of two days there last Oct and many folks said the crowds drop off after the festival. That's the busy time to be there after Summer, but I can imagine it's a worthwhile trip. Just pack what you need for food and drinks and make your lodging plans before they all get booked.

We're all booked up, there is no problem there. We were just wondering if we should check it out. It sounds like we probably should. Especially since Custer NP is a destination on it's own merit.

Is it worth out time to see while we're there?

YES. Your family will enjoy it ! A few years ago April helped me apply to be one of the drovers ( they hire 20 outside drovers each year ) I didn't make the cut, but still loved the festivities. Besides the round up, the other activities are also enjoyable. Good band, great food, and I didn't go, but was told they also had a classic car show, and I know some here love the old cars.
While you're close take a drive through the badlands.
Good suggestion

Wishing you and your family a safe and fun trip

In line early
We're all booked up, there is no problem there. We were just wondering if we should check it out. It sounds like we probably should. Especially since Custer NP is a destination on it's own merit.
Custer State Park

Back