Hard to Get NW CO Tag - What to Look for in a Pronghorn?

SPDSpappy

I am going through an outfitter in NW CO and am getting a landowner tag normally taking 15+ years to get out of the deal. I've watched all the Randy videos on pronghorn, but what should I be looking for to make sure I'm taking an animal worthy of the tag? I'm not nearly as educated on antelope as I am about elk and I only started hunting out west a couple years ago.

If you have a guide, they should be able to tell what’s a good one. That herd up there is not as “good” as it used to be, but there are still some quality bucks. You won’t see B&C bucks everywhere you look, but you will definitely fill your tag. Mass and length.

Which outfitter ? I went in the same area last year and due to lack of drawing a tag elsewhere I did the RFW hunt. I shot a very nice 77” buck that had some great ivory tips. Saw lots of 70-72” bucks which that was What the outfitter advertised. Saw one more that was probably 74”

If you have a guide, they should be able to tell what’s a good one. That herd up there is not as “good” as it used to be, but there are still some quality bucks. You won’t see B&C bucks everywhere you look, but you will definitely fill your tag. Mass and length.
I was thinking the same thing...

You’re on a 7 day hunt to kill an elk, antelope, and deer. Place a priority on which animal is most important. If I had that situation, I’d shoot the first decent antelope and get on with the rest of the hunt.
Great point! I've already told them my top priority is elk, followed by a muley, and the pronghorn is a bonus. This hunt is cheaper than the elk/mule deer combo I looked at in UT and comes w/ the pronghorn.

Which outfitter ? I went in the same area last year and due to lack of drawing a tag elsewhere I did the RFW hunt. I shot a very nice 77” buck that had some great ivory tips. Saw lots of 70-72” bucks which that was What the outfitter advertised. Saw one more that was probably 74”
I'm going w/ Double H Outfitters. I'm glad you were able to harvest a nice critter!!!

Just remember mass trumps length. If you have two bucks, one is 12” and one is 17” and the 12” buck has an average of 1” per mass measurement than the 16” buck (This will also affect the prong measurement), the 12” buck will score higher. (4 mass measurements equals 4” per side plus 1” of added prong length equals 6” per side which is greater than the 5” per side in the length measurement.

The 1” more mass per measurement is extreme but length is way more noticeable than mass. A lot of big bucks get passed on because of this.

I learned this 2 years ago in Wyoming. Almost passed the buck I killed because he was short. Good thing my buddy Beau talked me into pulling the trigger because the mass was crazy. Ended up scoring 77“.

But here is the real key to remember with antelope.....a 55” buck taste just as good as a

Just remember mass trumps length. If you have two bucks, one is 12” and one is 17” and the 12” buck has an average of 1” per mass measurement than the 16” buck (This will also affect the prong measurement), the 12” buck will score higher. (4 mass measurements equals 4” per side plus 1” of added prong length equals 6” per side which is greater than the 5” per side in the length measurement.

The 1” more mass per measurement is extreme but length is way more noticeable than mass. A lot of big bucks get passed on because of this.

I learned this 2 years ago in Wyoming. Almost passed the buck I killed because he was short. Good thing my buddy Beau talked me into pulling the trigger because the mass was crazy. Ended up scoring 77“.

But here is the real key to remember with antelope.....a 55” buck taste just as good as a
Thanks for the info!! I can't wait to eat one!!!! I've heard not to shoot them after they've been running though...

Mass is everything. I shot a 14” antelope in Wyoming that ended up being 79 5/8 after the drying period .

Here is a good buck with a side and a front angle to look at. He’s right at 84”s.

Attachments

• FC6B3C29-BD90-4676-9FC2-A48B3FE20F95.jpeg
    FC6B3C29-BD90-4676-9FC2-A48B3FE20F95.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 7EEE69FA-0534-4A64-9499-42DEB71C515A.jpeg
    7EEE69FA-0534-4A64-9499-42DEB71C515A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
Thanks for the info!! I can't wait to eat one!!!! I've heard not to shoot them after they've been running though...

The same people who say that are the same ones who say antelope is the worst game meat. The main thing with antelope is to bring lots of latex gloves. I for one am not as cautious as I should be with protecting myself when dealing with animals, but gloves for antelope isn't just to protect you from pathogens. They have a very strong scent gland not only on their hock like most animals, but also there neck and horns. Those black marks on the face are a result from these glands. Where people screw up with antelope is they take their grip and grins then jump into removing the skin as fast as they can because thats what you have to do with antelope, which is true. What people don't think about is they just had their hands on the neck and horns for their pictures. They got all that antelope gland on their hands, then the rush to get the skin off so it can cool and spread that gland all over the meat.

I like to take plenty of gloves and a bar of soap. Take your pics, then wash your hands. Next put on gloves then start taking care of the gutting and gilling. If you touch anywhere near the glands (head, neck, or hock), change your gloves. Its nice to have someone with you so the can position the animal for you so you don't have to risk spreading touching a gland. Although an antelope gland isnt a bad smell (reminds me of past hunts and I love it), it doesn't taste all that great.

The same people who say that are the same ones who say antelope is the worst game meat. The main thing with antelope is to bring lots of latex gloves. I for one am not as cautious as I should be with protecting myself when dealing with animals, but gloves for antelope isn't just to protect you from pathogens. They have a very strong scent gland not only on their hock like most animals, but also there neck and horns. Those black marks on the face are a result from these glands. Where people screw up with antelope is they take their grip and grins then jump into removing the skin as fast as they can because thats what you have to do with antelope, which is true. What people don't think about is they just had their hands on the neck and horns for their pictures. They got all that antelope gland on their hands, then the rush to get the skin off so it can cool and spread that gland all over the meat.

I like to take plenty of gloves and a bar of soap. Take your pics, then wash your hands. Next put on gloves then start taking care of the gutting and gilling. If you touch anywhere near the glands (head, neck, or hock), change your gloves. Its nice to have someone with you so the can position the animal for you so you don't have to risk spreading touching a gland. Although an antelope gland isnt a bad smell (reminds me of past hunts and I love it), it doesn't taste all that great.

Great information, thank you!! I've never heard this advice before, but I'll make sure I follow it if/when I get one on the ground.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back