Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hanging a Moose Hide - Question??

JMG

In 2017 my son drew a moose permit and harvested a nice young bull moose. The hide was jet-black and I had the hide tanned for him. My son since has graduated College (MSU), got a job, and moved away.

I posted here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/hd-331-50-ruby-either-sex-moose-permit.276083/

He called me wondering; Can you hang a moose hide on the wall?

Have any of you hung a hide on a wall? If so ... how?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

JMG

I don't see why not. I have an elk hide hanging on my wall that I tanned myself. I bought some clips on amazon that were specifically for that. Only issue I see is it is possible for some of the tanning oils to leach out of the hide and onto the wall if left long enough.

I've got a tanned elk hide I was going to hang in the garage but it's still rolled up. Was thinking about using a leather punch to put small holes in it, then hang on hooks. Perhaps the holes would need grommits.

And maybe a semi gloss paint would better resist transfer from the hide to the wall.

I have a heavy-duty curtain rod and brackets and draped a bear hide over it lengthwise, it takes up half the room as a "rug" type display.

Was thinking something similar to the curtain rod. We built a wood ladder (adapted the idea from a quilt ladder) to display hides in the living room. You could probably build a wall mounted “rung” or something to drape it over.

I’ve seen bear hides that had a fabric/felt backing sewn on. Might be an option if you want to keep the hide itself off the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back