Handgun for snakes and bears?

Big Sky

Let me just state upfront, I've never been much of a handgun guy. In fact I've never owned one for more than a week or two. Pretty much ended up with one or two in gun trades and traded them off right away. However, I now live in country infested with rattle snakes. Plus I fish more these days than I used to so I see more snakes than normal. I also run into black bears with some risk of seeing a grizzlies as well. What I need is a handgun that I can carry while fishing or hiking in the mountains, but not so big that it becomes a burden. In theory, it seems like the S+W Governor (.410, 45 LC, 45ACP) would be just about ideal, but it's pretty big. Smaller than the Taurus Judge, but still pretty big. Then there's the S+W Mountain 44 Mag. Again I question whether it's small enough to not be a nuisance to carry. Basically I need something that is handy to carry, can shoot factory bird/snake shot, and bullets big enough to have a chance in a bear battle. Open to suggestions???

judge ultralight, won't even know its there, large variety of ammo. 4 shot works great on snakes. The 44 mountain kicks like a mule in the ultralight model but the judge ultralight is awsome.

mtmiller I'm not that brave. If I remember right you don't mind snakes too much. We don't share that train of thought.

If you don't like the already mentioned options, perhaps bond arms has something of interest. Or, a good .45 with the first few rounds being cci bird shot.

I've had to take care of a rattlesnake with my Judge and it worked well. When I came across some fresh bear scat and tracks all I had to do was rotate my cylinder to the 45 LC's.

S&W Governor. Load it with 2.5 .410 shells w/ 6 shot for snakes and .45 ACP or .45 Colt for self defense. Havent ever put +P rounds through it. Might check manufacturer info before trying to use +P rounds for bears or intruders.

Good God, Miller, that's a great pic...glad you're still with us...:eek:

As far as this goes...

S&W Governor. Load it with 2.5 .410 shells w/ 6 shot for snakes and .45 ACP or .45 Colt for self defense. Havent ever put +P rounds through it. Might check manufacturer info before trying to use +P rounds for bears or intruders.

Neither the Governor nor the Judge are rated for "+P" .45 LC pressures. Those loads get serious in a hurry. I've posted this pic before, but it gives a good idea of what happens when you touch one off. It was pitch black night when I pulled the trigger--

redneck.jpg

That load was pushing a 335gr Cast Performance at around 1250fps. What you don't see is the amount of muzzle rise. It's significant. And that's out of gun that weighs around 50oz, not around 30oz like the Judge. Even if the gun could handle it, I wouldn't want to.

About the best you could safely do out of a short barreled Judge/Gov would be in the upper 800's lower 900's with a 250ish bullet. Whether or not that's "enough" for a bear I'll leave for others to discuss.

For the OP-- since you don't shoot handguns much, I really think all of the suggestions of a 357 are right on the money. CCI loads shotshells for it that will solve your snake problems, and the ability to shoot light 38 Specials through it will help you build proficiency with the gun.

One thing to think about when deciding between a smaller framed gun like the SP101 versus a larger framed gun like the S&W 66 that I posted the link to is what you're really going to do with it-- shoot it a lot, carry it a lot, both? I don't like shooting small framed lightweight revolvers, but I like shooting revolvers, so I'm willing to pay the size and weight penalty of a medium frame. Heavy bullet 357 loads can get a bit snappy, but if it was all for business then something like that SP101 would be hard to beat.

That S&W MD 66, 4” is (in my NOT humble opinion), the most versatile handgun made.
It is small and light enough to conceal, big enough to produce outstanding accuracy, and powerful enough to kill a bear (or stop a car) with well placed round. The .357/.38 special ammo comes in the wider variety of loads then any other handgun round, and ammo is readily available anywhere ammo is sold.
It is fairly easy to learn to shoot it well, and in a “situation” can be fired very fast with surprising accuracy.
Simply put, it will do anything you could want a handgun to do (within reason).
If you are only going to own one handgun, this is the one.

Disclaimer;

Any handgun is more than enough for snakes, and nothing but the biggest, heaviest most powerful handgun is really good enough for a grizzly.

You need to conquer your fear of snakes. You probably have a higher chance of getting killed by your own ricochet while shooting at a snake than you do of him bitting you. Why? Because to shoot at him you must already know he is there so just walk away. The ones you need to worry about are the ones you don't see and a pistola won't help you kill those ones.

The last thing I want is to hit mad mamma black with some week a$$ 45 birdshot right before she takes me off my feet.

I do a lot of archery antelope hunting and crawling through sage brush and don't carry anything for snakes. Being aware of where you are and your surroundings and where you are going is a better remedy than trying to fumble for a handgun with your hands shaking and having to drop what's in your hands and trying to take a good shot. The one snake I have run into in 7 years out here rattled and backed away from me as I backed up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back