Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hal Herring on Federal/State Clean Water oversight

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Hal is one of the most mind-bending writers of our day. He and I talk regularly. His passion for information makes him an old school guy who works his butt off for the story that others want to overlook. This piece here about how the States have not done anything to help retain clean water standards is going to make some people question their default rhetoric on rolling back clean water standards.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/can-states-protect-our-waters?YOsB8uYpKXoriB6A.01

I often say that conservation advocacy is never easy, seldom convenient, and when most important is also the most uncomfortable. It is rather troubling that a country laying claim as the cradle of conservation is even debating the topic of life's basic need, clean water.

Randy, thanks for posting the link. Great article by Mr. Herring, as usual.

This is a very real and alarming issue at hand. I have taken the reality of clean water for granted, frankly for my entire life. It's easy-- turn on the faucet, hose, shower, etc. and out comes clean water. Never give it another thought. I hope every outdoorsman/woman, regardless of their chosen sport, uses this reality check in the right way. It does, and needs to, begin at the local level. I would count this as valuable of a fight (if not the most) as habitat conservation and public land access and protection (for the hunting/angling community, primarily.)

One of Mr. Herring's comments is spot on: "The one thing that kept coming up in all the interviews I conducted for this story was this: Something is going to happen, because there is no way that a nation of educated citizens that has gotten accustomed to having clean water, valuable properties on lakes and rivers, fairly cheap drinking water supplies, and viable recreational fisheries are going to simply give all of that up."

What would be some grassroots options each of us on HT could take part in? It is definitely a daunting task on a broad level, but I feel our collective energy/efforts/money could be targeted towards the initiatives we all give a damn about.

Randy, thanks for posting the link. Great article by Mr. Herring, as usual.

This is a very real and alarming issue at hand. I have taken the reality of clean water for granted, frankly for my entire life. It's easy-- turn on the faucet, hose, shower, etc. and out comes clean water. Never give it another thought. I hope every outdoorsman/woman, regardless of their chosen sport, uses this reality check in the right way. It does, and needs to, begin at the local level. I would count this as valuable of a fight (if not the most) as habitat conservation and public land access and protection (for the hunting/angling community, primarily.)

One of Mr. Herring's comments is spot on: "The one thing that kept coming up in all the interviews I conducted for this story was this: Something is going to happen, because there is no way that a nation of educated citizens that has gotten accustomed to having clean water, valuable properties on lakes and rivers, fairly cheap drinking water supplies, and viable recreational fisheries are going to simply give all of that up."

What would be some grassroots options each of us on HT could take part in? It is definitely a daunting task on a broad level, but I feel our collective energy/efforts/money could be targeted towards the initiatives we all give a damn about.

How about quit voting for those who want to roll back our progress and protections on the places we live and love?

That is about as grassroots-y as it gets.

Trust me, El Presidente Agent Orange/Angry Cheeto/Human Corncob is the dumbest life form on the planet, and his stupidity comes with high consequences (as we have all seen/experienced). We had exactly ZERO good options, on either side, for that election....those who voted for him, well, now we all gotta live with it....so, on to my next sentence.

I am thinking more on the lines of orgs like American Rivers, Greater Gallatin Watershed Council, etc. Anyone have any first hand experience with those groups or others? Just trying to gather more info or dialogue.

Trust me, El Presidente Agent Orange/Angry Cheeto/Human Corncob is the dumbest life form on the planet, and his stupidity comes with high consequences (as we have all seen/experienced). We had exactly ZERO good options, on either side, for that election....those who voted for him, well, now we all gotta live with it....so, on to my next sentence.

I am thinking more on the lines of orgs like American Rivers, Greater Gallatin Watershed Council, etc. Anyone have any first hand experience with those groups or others? Just trying to gather more info or dialogue.

You have a congressional election going on right now. Go donate to the candidate who will protect what you feel is important.

Go volunteer at the candidate's office.

Go knock on doors.

Go drive people to polls.

And quit voting for those that require us to find activist groups to counter their nonsense.

The groups you mention are a great state. American River's does a ton on Clean Water, as does Trout Unlimited.

Grassroots is being involved in your local scene. Contact your County Commissioners, State Legislators, and others to make sure they know your position. When contacted elected officials, don't ask, "Why did you vote for that?" They will have some part-line BS and I don't really care why they voted for it, rather I want them to know it is against what their constituents want. Be professional and tell them how you feel on the issue, taking away the opportunity for them to rationalize and use generic terms of "local control, etc. They are to represent the people, whether you voted for them or not, making it more important for them to hear loud and clear what your position is.

It starts with you being informed. From there, informing your circle of friends and family. From there, your community and elected officials. Information is the key. Does anyone really think we need "dirtier water?"

When I hear people complain about the Clean Water Act, I ask for an example that has them so pissed off. To date, not a single example has been provided. I think part of grassroots activism is pushing back on the barstool rumors and forcing people, often family and friends, to think about it. They usually are faced with the "look in the mirror" of whether or not they are just regurgitating party line rhetoric they heard on talk radio or do they have a true concern based on facts/examples.

I know for many, this Clean Water issue causes some squirming. People they voted for due to positions on other issues are the ones behind it. Now, to get change on other issues comes this big problem. So, are people who voted for these folks going to be apologists or are they going to contact that elected person and say, "Hey, I voted for you, but this is bullchit. What is it about clean water that bothers you?"

I am hoping when Americans vote for someone they don't feel the obligation to be apologists for every idea that elected person might support. Hell, every person I have ever voted for did something I disagreed with. I felt it was more important for me, someone who voted for that person, to let them know the foolishness of their vote than to just let their political opponents criticize them. I do worry that America feels too much committed to the party system and the mostly terrible candidates that system produces, making them less likely to criticize someone they voted for.

Probably not a good answer, but the manner by which I do grassroot activism. And it seems pretty effective when done in large numbers.

If the path forward will be regulation by state then it makes sense to spend the most time contacting your County Commissioners (go to their weekly/monthly meetings, I bet you'll be one of only a few members of the public there), schedule a meeting with your state reps and senators. If you are willing to go to the capital they're almost always willing to make time to meet with you.

Are we headed for a water crisis in this country? I'm not sure. Even in the land of plenty (Wisconsin) we are starting to have problems with water. Lakes in the central sands are going dry due to high capacity wells that are less and less regulated. Wells in Kewaunee County are being contaminated from CAFO's.

Clean water is necessary for pretty much every activity I enjoy. It is essential for our life. Pretty disappointing to see us starting to tread backwards when it comes to the protection of this vital resource.

Well I've tried and have been pretty successful at staying out of the political conversations of late and my blood pressure has stabilized as a result I think, that's a good thing from the perspective of my family and friends.
We now have a President and a Congress who are hell bent on making America Great again by bragging, promising, and taking steps to roll back so called job killing regulations of which those pertaining to the environment seem to head the list. Pretty sad that American voters have been convinced it seems into believing the only way to have a good paying job is to allow for the environment and ourselves to be poisoned.
I'm not a stupid voter but I am a party line voter, I've examined over my lifetime the differences in the 2 major party's (there are major differences) and have come to the conclusion which one most closely represents my values and beliefs. As Big Fin mentioned no politician exists who any of us can agree with 100 percent of the time and that is true whether it's the R D or I party. As he mentioned though if there are issues you disagree with from those you voted for, let them know rather than just being a damn mind numbed robot who will accept any thing they say or do regardless how outrageous. Not quite sure what other issues were so important to voters that you were willing to accept the inevitable dirtier air and water as a condition?

http://www.nacdnet.org/general-resources/conservation-district-directory/

Want to get involved in the most grassroots way? There it is. Soil and Water Conservation Districts (has other names) that came about after the Soil Conservation Act of 1935 have been fighting to protect water quality since then. And the majority of folks have never even heard of us (even the author of the article, no insult, just an observation). They are a separate entity of government. Non-partisan. They are the folks who brought about the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, NEPA and other regulatory acts. They are the folks who go sit on a board and assist in directing the NRCS, FSA and their employees (like me) in what their primary focus is. Where I live it is cattle exclusion from streams. In the realm of water quality, we have been doing exceptionally well. The frustrating part is that we have been having these conversations and working to change the mindset against conservation and environmental stewardship, since the 1930s. Takes a minute, its voluntary, but we have more folks reaching out to us. Until a RiverKeeper sues a farmer, or another individual writes an article and blast agriculture or the "backwoods locals", or an EPA employee shows up and refers to the landowner as an "inbred hillbilly". 5 board members, 2 appointed, 3 elected. At least in NC. Its also worth mentioning that GA had dismantled their Districts...

But in response to the Waters of the US rule, we called and asked for clarification, we got nothing. We had people call us for clarification, we couldn't give anything. So.... If we are going to point fingers, some folks in DC who developed the policy need to take their part. I have been called everything from a bleeding heart SOB that is wanting to grab land, to a dumb hick who hates the environment, just because we were never given the actual rules from the time it was released. A litmus test, if it takes teams of lawyers to determine what it is saying, probably needs to be vetted. How bout we let the scientist and water quality experts who spend all this time researching aquatics and hydrology present their research on what needs to happen? Instead of some bureaucrat who doesn't know what a Bunsen burner is, write a rule? just a thought.

For real though. Get involved with your local District. Be the change you gripe about

Back