Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hacking the List...

Moosie

Grand poopa
Every day I add something and Delete something... I'll have the Final list here Friday for Comments... Ithin kI'm right there in the Weight now.. Fingers Crossed
rolleyes.gif

Am I the only one that's been on a weight restriction and HAveing a hard time to get the weight right ?

been there done that, but I usually dont have a problem with it. The problem I usually have is the food and I usually have to re-pack a couple times cuz its so bulky.

Just out of curiosity, what is your weight limit? And just to make sure I am on the right track, you are getting more supplies dropped off to you when you get relocated for the caribou hunt, right?

90# is the Limit (Each) that includes food. I'll shoot you the List in the AM so You can Review it... I have all the Gear on mine, Tent, Tarps, Ect and right at 90# and dad has jsut his cloths, Camera gear and food on his and iss at 90#'s

Fortunately I can Wear the Hip boots that weight around 8#'s
eek.gif
but thats in adition to the 90#'s I'm at
frown.gif

I can get an Additional 40#s each (80# total) dropped of fthe 2nd 1/2 ... BUT everything I have I need on the first half.. It's not like I can leave my tent and Stove till the 2nd 1/2 ... All I can think is 1/4 the food will come up and an Extra Box of Shells jsut in case... Other then that I need my Cloths, MY fuel (exztra will come in 2nd 1/2 too) but everything else Heavy is in the First trip.. BOOTs, Rifle, Bino's, Tent, Tarp, And on.. and On.. So I'm at a loss unles I ship extra Undies
wink.gif

HELL.. For 16 days in the field, and 2 people and 1.25#'s (ONLY) a day.. Thats 40# right there !!! Sucks Wang I tell ya
smile.gif
If I only had 100# each
wink.gif

PS, I jsut widdled a few Items (Luxury ones) and dumped a few Pounds) It's looking a bit better. We had a good Knife set I dumped and I added 2# for Camp shoes to get out on the Boots sitting around camp. That is 2#'s only but it's x2 so We no whave an Extra 4#'s !! YAHHOOooo
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oscar I'm sure there is alot we can hack. Flying in is new to you and you cant always take luxory stuff. Its not a dig on you but I know for a fact you can trim it down, it just depends on how much luxury you want. 90lbs is alot, hell you could bring no gear or anything and put me in your pack. we could eat your dads food and have a good hunt
biggrin.gif

Ah yes, you have to get rid of those luxery items. About the extent you can go on luxery items for this type of hunt is a book, camera, or flip flops
tongue.gif

Hey, something to think about on that second trip. Not sure what all Sodoltna has to offer, BUT wouldn't it be great to have a nice greasey cheesey burger loaded with ketchup, lettuce, tomato, mayo on a toasted bun w/ fries and a chocolate shake? Yummmm...after 10 days of eating backpacker food, this will indeed spoil you. I bet there is a small mom and pop shop around the pilot could pick you and your dad up something...might be worth it to him if you are a big "tipper".

Moosie,

We were limited to 70lbs and we took in 20#s of salt for the capes. I'll look at the items, and ruthlessly remove items you don't need.
fight.gif
You can do it....
eek.gif

Hey, go fix that one picture in the Polly B cabin on the Locked Up thread in SI. I can't get it to show up, just a red x. I got the other 10 to work fine...

LBG.. YOU saw my list... WHAT sahould I hack ? Air it publically
smile.gif
I don't mind!!!

I took of fthe Knife set (Alot of weight) and the Camp Shoes... I'll post the Revised list Friday
tongue.gif
.. BUT point out my Flaws here so I don't ship Unnessessary stuff..

I nuked one Tarp and The 2nd Tent too.. Gainded another 5#'s/. But if my Tent Rips (after dumping a crapload on it) I'll be pissed I dumped the spare
smile.gif

I know your probably tired of hearing this, but here goes. If your trying to get some extra niceities on the plane, you could cut down on food. I guarantee you, you probably won't eat everything you are packing. It is a habit everyone starts out with. You feel if you don't pack enough food you may very well starve to death if you run out. You don't want to take more than a 1.5 lbs of food per day, preferably 1 lb. That should leave you w/ approximately 75 lbs of gear and that is a LOT of gear. Your food will weigh the most, then your clothes. Pack enough to get you by, but don't be too liberable.

You ought to be aiming for 5lbs under.... then you have room for error.

One trick is to put everything you can in your pockets, so your "gear" weighs less. Put the binocs around your neck. Your knives on your belt. Your shells in your pockets, etc...

This just "cheats" the system the outfitter has for figuring his take off weights and charging you more. This does NOT cheat the laws of physics, and if your pilot crashes the Airplane into a mtn, as you snuck extra weight on the plane, don't think you got away with something....

I got a Food Phobia
smile.gif
I's already at 1.25# Thats almost 1/2 were I want to be at 2#. Actually I trimmed a bit of Oz. off this Evening and It's more like 1.18ish
wink.gif

Anyways, that's the MIN. I added in my Dry bags.. Fuggers weight 5#2oz.. It's one big one, A large and 2 small ones.. It's in the Dry bag post.... I'm thinking about hacking one.. but it's only a couple oz.

I already am Wearing 17#'s on the Float plane. I'm wearing one knife,binos, jacket, vest, pants, Long undies top/bottom and Hip waders.. Adds up to over 17#s !! But they way me with all that stuff for I board.. So I'm not Cheating the System. They'll know. Plus I lost that before the trip... So it's like The fat I lost I'm tagging it on w/ cloth's
wink.gif

Actually oscar your list didnt show or I might have missed. I seen your food list but thats it. hmmmm. let me check.

What didn't show ? I put what I wass Wearing after All my stuff and Showed ALL the math right on the PAge. I have 3 lists. Mine, Dads, and food. Everything is on it to the Oz. Everything is Priced to the 1$ (Less Tax) and everything I double (Socks, ect) I put on as (x2) ... Almost an Anal list
wink.gif
But I'd of been 200#'s easy if I didn't do that
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> already am Wearing 17#'s on the Float plane. I'm wearing one knife,binos, jacket, vest, pants, Long undies top/bottom and Hip waders.. Adds up to over 17#s !!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, no room for the pot under your britches?

Between you and your dad, you guys should have two packs, two guns, and one dry bag (the duffel bag size). Everything you need should be able to fit into those three bags.

First Everyone is like.. Bring some SMALL dry bags.. Then they're like.. HEY, BRING only one... I'm like OK, I'll buy some Small bags.. Then I'm like .. Ohh that was a Waste of $100
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I did have a Dayback Backpack and Nuked that too. It was a Light frame one but I got thinknig why not jsut carry the Frame pack that I'm hauling meat with around as one.. right ?

PS, The cameras go in the Smaller Dry bags.. they stay
cool.gif

I my friend am not on the "everyone" list...I never said that. Definitely pack the camera equipment in a small dry bag, this is how I have done it in the past. Good idea to dump the day pack though. What else you got you can dump?

toilet paper
smile.gif
HEHE....

It jsut BLOWS my mind how Stuff Adds up. Cloths wise I have 2 pair of stuff...

I dumped some stuff tonight and Will update my list in the AM and Email it out to ya. What Email can I use ?

then get it and tell me what to Dump (Or what you think I can). I like the BAG Idea. Saved me 4#'s off the batt !! Other then that everything is less then a pound so It seems silly to Take it off.. BUT I've learned that Every Oz. helps ....

[email protected]

You really have to be cognizant of the items you take. Is there a need to take a family size tube of toothpaste as opposed to a small travel size? Can you use things such as a sleeping pad for dual use items...say a chair? Of course. Are there things on your "wish list" for the future that can help reduce weight...tents, packs, sleeping bags, CLOTHES? Your going to be fine...you'll see. This is all new to you, but each time you'll learn a different trick or procedure...I'm still learning and I've logged quite a bit of flying hours in a bush plane in the small amount of time I have been an AK resident.

Send me the list and I'll see what I can shave down.

Back