Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Gutless Method video

I hunt moose by myself quite a bit. And was on the moose road kill list for years. I just developed into using the gutless method. And no reason to leave any meat.
I wanted to add. There is a real good video on the AK fish n game web that has a gutless video doing a moose.
Hey good luck n hope you all get to try it out or polish up your skills enjoying our public lands

Two things to ask - after watching this again!

1) At the beginning Randy says if not caping, he'd start at the bottom and skin up? So up along a leg, across stomach down other leg then peel up?

2) How do you disconnect at the knee? Randy shows all legs with the bottom already removed, I've been hit/miss on getting them off deer and elk are even bigger, how do you remove that joint without a saw?

1) At the beginning Randy says if not caping, he'd start at the bottom and skin up? So up along a leg, across stomach down other leg then peel up?

2) How do you disconnect at the knee? Randy shows all legs with the bottom already removed, I've been hit/miss on getting them off deer and elk are even bigger, how do you remove that joint without a saw?
Hopefully these lines make sense, around 360 the knee, cut where the hair is the thinnest, then around the leg in a circle then pull the entire hide over the animal. So essentially when I'm done I could have a full elk rug if I wanted.
1631566737126.png

Every bone in any animal is connect with cartilage and tendons, you sever those and cut through the muscle. The joint can be a bit hard to locate at first, the easiest way to do so when your getting started is to skin out a decent portion of the leg above and below the knee then flex it as much as possible, the point at which it's pivoting is the joint, cut through that.

I only carry a havalon and a small pocket knife these days.

1631566170481.png
1631566255043.png
1631566345063.png

The flat joint below the knee is the one you want to try and hit. Especially the hind legs, as there is no chance it will tear when hanging. It was most important lots of years ago when some elk actually came out whole. Some of the old boys we use to hunt with called the knee joint "any mans" cuz any man could hit it. If you didn't hit the flat joint plenty of hard nose ribbing was headed your way.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...11F5DB407D99F6ADF07F11F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

The flat joint below the knee is the one you want to try and hit. Especially the hind legs, as there is no chance it will tear when hanging. It was most important lots of years ago when some elk actually came out whole. Some of the old boys we use to hunt with called the knee joint "any mans" cuz any man could hit it. If you didn't hit the flat joint plenty of hard nose ribbing was headed your way.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...11F5DB407D99F6ADF07F11F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
That's a good video for sure. For those of you who think you need a custom Benchmade knife take a look at what he's skinning that leg out with...$20-30 bucks tops.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ELK+LEG+JOINTS&docid=608053642817770261&mid=5DB407D99F6ADF07F11F5DB407D99F6ADF07F11F&view=detail&FORM=VI
I like the video. I've had issues finding the right spot to cut on the hind leg. Thanks for posting.

I learned he gutless method from working in a butcher shop. Makes life so easy and is handy to know how to do.

I've used the gutless method twice, both times in extremely warm environments and believe using it saved my meat from going bad. Much quicker than field dressing as I was able to get meat cooler quicker.

To locate the rear leg joint, pull the leg straight, from the ankle feel up the inside leg (sounds a bit perverted!)until you can feel the first 'lump' cut right around this, if you have done it correctly it should 'snap' easily.

As for gutless method, it has one major failing (sorry Randy), most of the lymph nodes are located in the lungs/liver/gut area, so how would you know you are not eating a diseased deer/elk without inspecting these?

Only way to go in hot weather, and you need to get it done quick. Later seasons it’s still nice to take a bit more time and clean things up thoroughly. Great video!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back