MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gunwerks Trouble?

They were selling "systems" for $10K which was almost double what they're worth. Troubles apparently began in 2018 and they borrowed money to expand. If they couldn't pay the bills in 2018 expanding wasn't going to save them...COVID will be the scapegoat used by many but it had little part in their foul up.

Admittedly I just bought some of their very expensive brass however ADG made it for them.

Also makes their “old stock” sale a couple months ago look suspicious.

If their insolvency slows down the practice of taking 1000 yard shots at game animals,,, this is good news to my ears.

I do have empathy for the various craftsmen making the rifles. Hopefully they can find employment that uses their skills.

Last edited:
$10k for a composite stocked rifle, for "1,000 yards out of the box" wasn't the best of business plans to begin with in my oppinion.

It's not a finely crafted & engraved double, and the manufacturers of those are small.

Especially when you could buy one of their actions for $600.

I've seen too many factory rifles capable of fine long range hunting accuracy for less than 1/10 the price.
And shooting 1,000 yards is more the shooter than the rifle.
Don't get me started on Revic!

Sounds like they have been making poor business decissions for quite a while.

The web site is still up and running. Don't know if you were to order something if you would get it or not. Might be they are still trying not to go under. Probably too late for that at this point.

Common problem in the gun industry.

people try to go too big too quick and massively overspend on buildings and equipment.

the custom gun (or in this case expensive production guns) are a limited market.

You see it on smaller scales with little shops growing and over spending then crash....

or in this case.....spend/hide it all then burn the bridge.

I’ll stick to just plugging along and making a steady income😁.

I have always wondered how some of these companies with high dollar builds stay in business. Always seems like more hype than demand. Kind of too bad... I know a young guy that works for them. One of the low men on the totem pole, but one of the absolute nicest people I’ve met in a long time, newly married. Hope he’s able to figure something out.

I have tried for 18 months to get them and/or the offshoot to load me custom ammo for one of the early 7mm-08. Crickets. I figured they were all so dang successful they had no time to take my money. Oh well. Shooting off the shelf ammo and getting nice results but know could do even tighter groups out further which would be fun at the range.

I'm not sure if it was their "stripper name" type nomenclature of products or the lack of a product call "The Reaper" (every great hunting gear company has one) that was their downfall. If RIFs happen hopefully the employees can land elsewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back