Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gunny units deer numbers

elkmo

Any feedback on what the deer numbers are looking like after the tough winter? Hoping to hear good news from guys that have had a chance to hunt some of the unit so far this year.

The estimated herd numbers post 2018 hunting season are on the Parks and Wildlife website. Some surprising numbers in some areas for sure. Not sure about the Basin actuals, and how accurate they are. As far as i know that's what they use to set the management/tag numbers.

I've heard the deer are doing better, but I just don't see as many deer in the Gunny units as I do elsewhere in CO. Just went for a 5 mile jaunt last Sunday N of Blue Mesa and saw one doe. I see alot more deer on the Uncompahgre and high desert area near Craig. That being said, there was a gob of deer last winter near HWY 50, but I think they were highly concentrated due to abnormal snow amounts. If a NR is to burn the points it takes to hunt those units I would highly recommend 66/67 over 54/55.

Thanks.

I had compared the 2018/2019 numbers and saw some DAU's increased from 2018, some at over 20%. Maybe count conditions were better in 2019, hard to imagine after the winter tho.

It depends on a certain area. In my region, there are a lot of deers, but hunting is prohibited. You can find all the needed information on the Parks and Wildlife website. As far as I can see, the deers number is raising, and everything should be fine. By the way, I believe in numerology, and I have seen on that site https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-777-meaning/ that there are 777 deers in my area, and that's really nice. I think that it's not a simple coincidence, but a special sign, because 777 is a very rare and special number.

Last edited:
It's been a pretty average winter in the Gunnison basin. Spring has arrived and snow is melting fast. Winter kill should be about average. I will say that based on my travels around the valley this winter, the deer numbers are down. Just not seeing the numbers that you would expect. Reports from those that hunted last fall will support this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back