Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gun safe in the garage?

FreeAir84

Hey, I’m moving with my family to Las Vegas and was wondering your thoughts on keeping a gun safe in the garage? I know some folks do it. My question is less about security and more about taking care of my rifles. In MN/AK where I’ve lived in the past moisture was the concern, can’t imagine that’s the case in NV. Thanks!

Just get some kind of dehumidifier and you should be fine. I live in Central Texas and it can get pretty humid here at times. I have my safe in the garage and have a dri-rod dehumidifier running. No sign of rust or moisture since I installed the safe 3 years ago.

Basements are damper than a garage and alot of people keep their safes in basements. A safe dehumidifier will do the trick. Just check it periodically to insure that it's still working.

In the southwest, lack of humidity can be an issue on wood stocks. If the garage is not conditioned space, prolonged exposure to hot dry air may be tough on the wood. I haven’t seen the problem with gun stocks but have seen furniture joints separate when stored in hot and dry conditions.

I believe there was a thread on this exact subject several months ago, that contained some really good information. I wouldn't worry about too much humidity in Vegas, but the exact opposite.

I posted a thread about this on here a few years back. I've had mine in the garage for around three years now using the golden rod and no problems. My garage is insulated but not heated, can't say for the weather in Nevada but everything has been fine in the Midwest weather here.

Check your insurance. Homeowners peob doesn't cover it anyway, so get a rider. I have one and they have to be under double lock and key. So garage doesn't count for me.

I have one in the garage and I placed it on a horse matt. I cut holes in the bottom so I could drill holes for cement bolts!

I live in Vegas and my two safes started living in the garage about 5 years ago with no worries about rust. All my guns are still looking good but I do oil them prior to putting them away after a hunt. I would worry more about theft in this city. If you get very heavy quality safes then less of a worry. If two people can move your safe than I would bolt it down as suggested earlier. I watched a video of how a giant "cheap" safe got pushed over and door pried off in less than a minute. Scary!

Take care of your safe like a gun, they depend on each other. Dehumidifier, lubrication, cleaning, will not only help you extend the good condition, but will also save you money in the future. If your garage is dry and warm, the safe will be safe.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back