Gun ordered cross your fingers

mnbearbaiter

Last July i ordered a Kimber Montana in 300wsm...needless to say its still on backorder and Kimber sounds like they are on their A$% as far as production goes right now:( I cancelled that order and placed order for the new Ruger M77 Hawkeye Magnum Hunter. Saw it on the Shot Show review and fell in love with it. Its not as light as the Kimber, in fact almost 2lbs heavier, but its overall design could be better for longer shots at elk, black bear, etc. The best thing is that ill have it shortly also!!!!

You should shop online. I've seen lots a Montana's in 300WSM for sale, many brand new.

Took me about 6 weeks to find a 308.

I've had a few Rugers, not bad rifles.

Well, the gun control laws just hit here in CO, so imagine they may cut back on things, or it will slow the industry down considerably?

Second Bambistew's recommendation.... i own 2 rugers stainless / synthetic paddle stock M77's and imagine you will enjoy that weapon. Post some pics!

Does the Hunter come with glass, or what do you plan to put on top?

Local shop has a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact with the matte stainless barrel and laminate stock for $675 new. I don't know much about these rifles. Anybody care to give me a run down. I wanted a 7mm-08 but this one is in stock in .308. Website says it weighs 6lbs.

Don't mean to hijack but what's the word on these rifles?

Looks like this: http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeLaminateCompact/models.html

Last edited:
FWIW I have 5 or 6 Rugers and wouldn't trade for anything. The last one I got was a Hawkeye - I think you will like it.

We have a couple Rugers in my house. A Mk II and a Hawkeye. Both shoot very well and are nice rifles. They are a bit heavy compared to other rifles in the same configurations but they really are good shooting rifles.

Yeah, all my buddies who own Rugers love 'em regardless that they are a tad heavy. They are all jelous of me getting the Magnum Hunter as its a snazzy lookin rig. As for glass im not sure...i have a Leupold VX2 Ultralight 3-9x33 new in box thats just waiting to be mounted. The gun weighs 8lbs already, so this may be a good scope for it as its quite lightweight. The gun will be used for western hunting mainly, so i dont wanna add a heavy scope with bells and whistles as they just add weight to an already stout gun. Never been a fan of large objectives or super high magnification anyway, on elk with 9x a man should be able to kill em out to 500yds all day.

Its a dandy also, the only rugers ive ever owned were the 10/22(what kid didnt), and the Frontier Scout Rifle(predecessor to the Gunsite) in 300wsm. My modern guns are all either camo or stainless/synthetic as im hard on equipment:) That said wood/blued guns look very nice, many almost too nice to hunt with!!!

I've had a few rugers, and have one in my arsenal now. An underrated gun for sure. Mine is older with the tang safety which I like. Not sure if they still come with that, but it shoots good if you can find the load it likes. Durable, and has held up through the years.

One good thing about a Ruger bolt action, you're not likely to break it! I've been happy with my SS/Lam MKII in 338 WIn Mag. Nary a problem. I also like their scope mounting system and wish more companies did it that way. Good luck with the new rifle.

"needless to say" ???

HMMmmm ... I have at this moment 7 Kimber Montana rifles, 2 kimber 1911's, ALL ordered direct from Kimber and "NEEDLESS TO SAY" they, each and every one function as advertised (or better) and have given me no less than stellar service and performance - I have on 4 occasions needed to contact Kimber direct for service or parts and have been treated with courtesy and diligence that rivals or excels far beyond most customer service I have found in any other venue - "maybe" ya had a bad day ........

I love my Kimber Montana. There are a lot of good rifles out there, but it's pretty amazing. What about Gun Broker.com? Guess it's too late now.

Back