Gun Dog Training Resources

Runnin_Chupacabra

I'm getting things organized for getting a lab pup for duck hunting in the near future; calling prospective breeders, looking up resources etc. I'll be training the pup myself and am surfing the interweb for resources to guide my training for the dog. I was wondering if there are any recommendations on books, websites, youtube videos or schools of thought that folks have found helpful. I've grown up with Queensland's my whole life, trained our last one myself, and she was absolutely wonderful. Very intelligent and obedient and I suppose that was due to my spending a lot of time with her. After 15.5 years we had to put her down last year and this next pup will be my first gun dog. Thanks!

Smart Fetch by Evan Graham is a really good book on force fetch/trained retrieve. Work on an impeccable recall and down stay.

I really like marker training. Find any book on that and use it for initial obedience.

Any decent YouTube series?

While I like books, a quick video here and there is easier to fit in the schedule.

Also, I'm not going out to buy live pigeons and bird launchers... :unsure:

( Hope you don't mind the very slight hijack, RC )

Last edited:
I used the SmartWork Series by Evan Graham. As far as books go, it was the one that was the easiest to read and follow. His videos were not the greatest. I paired those books with the video series by Mike Lardy, Total Retriever Training. I spent way too much money over the years on training books and videos.

I'm starting over with a buddies pup, and will be going back to volume 1 of the SmartWork series and pairing that with youtube videos. It helps to see some of the methods and the dogs reactions. But at the end of the day it is you and your dog doing the work, and you have to tailor any program to both you and your dog's abilities.

I used this method this weekend for bird and gun intro for my 6 month lab. Seemed to work well for us.

We quickly got from .22 blanks at a short distance to shooting birds right over her with shotgun since she was so into the birds she showed no hesitation at all.

Back