Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Guiding question!

dgibson

I know that Alaska requires all non-residents to hunt with a resident guide. I recently saw a show in which the hunter (from out of state) hunted for moose, and the only guiding he got was transportation to and from a drop camp. They set him down in the wilderness with his gear and said "see ya in two weeks" or whatever. He made his own camp, decided when and where to hunt, dressed & quartered his moose, and packed it back downriver to camp once he had one down. Is this considered guiding for legal purposes? I was under the impression that the guide had to stay with you and hold your hand throughout the hunt.
confused.gif

Darren thats not quite right. Non-residents are required to hire a registered guide to hunt Brown/Grizzly bears, Dall sheep and Mtn Goats UNLESS they are accompanied by a relative of second degree kindred or closer who is a resident of Alaska. Second degree kindred extends to step relatives, inlaws and grand parents/children but not uncles/cousins. There is a proposal before the Board of Game to require guides for moose and is not the law yet but it will come up for a vote when the Board convenes this spring.

So if you want to do a drop-off float trip for moose in '03 you can even if the guide requirement passes it won't take effect (most likely) until the '04 season.

Personally, I think that if it does pass it will be limited to certain areas of the state.

Even if there is a proposal for the board of game to include moose in the guide required animals I doubt it will even be discussed past the point of stating that only the legislature can pass such a law.

Where is the proposal you're talking about Erik?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-31-2002 09:24: Message edited by: Alasken ]</font>

To be honest Alasken its heresay coming from me. I saw it brought up here and have heard some grumbling around Fairbanks about it and assumed the proposal was genuine. I posted my reponse to Darren before reading from you on another thread that a guiding requirement can only be imposed by the legislature.

All I know is its not the law(yet) but is being considered.

Gents,

When the moose guiding issue first came up (at least the latest version) there was talk about it being supported by the 'Alaska Professional Hunters (or Guide) Association'.

I can't seem to find any info on-line for that group. I thought they had a website, but it seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone know anything about this group?

Thanks

I still haven't found out if there is a proposal or not. I thought the proposals would be listed on the board web site, but all that's there is old news.

There was a bill in the legislature last year about the moose guide law. It died in sub-committee, just like it did four or five years ago. In my opinion it will never happen. What I think will happen is that non-resident seasons will go away. That has already started happening.

Brian, the APHA (Alaska Professional Hunters Association) was indeed supporting the bill. It is the only organization that does any lobbying for the guiding industry.The APHA membership is mostly licensed guides, but I know a few people who are members just so they can receive the newsletter that comes out three or four times a year. I was a professional member for a number of years until last year when they wasted thousands of dollars lobbying for the moose bill. I figured I could waste my $200 better than they could. They used to have a web site, but it looks like they don't any more.

Thanks Alasken,

I thought perhaps I was going crazy, not being able to find their website. Well, I still might be crazy, but at least I'm not alone.
smile.gif

Not sure if I wanted to join up, but I would have been interested in receiving their newsletter, even for a fee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back