Caribou Gear

Guides/Packout help near Vail CO

pablodiablo

Hi folks, I'm planning a solo, first rifle, either sex elk hunt near Vail CO in October.

Plan A is to kill and pack out an elk myself, but some of the hunt talkers I've been talking with have suggested I oughtta have a plan B in place to get some help packing out in case I need it.

Does anyone know of any guides or packout services near Vail? I'd love to reach out if anyone has any contacts in the area.

Thanks all!

You could try the spraddle creek stables. That's about the only option in Vail. The other option would be to check for packers around Eagle.

Half moon will cost you close to a grand,maybe a little more,just for pack in and out.This is with your own gear,tents,ect...

Here's the thing about wanting to hire a packer with stock. In Colorado, it's illegal to provide such services without being a licensed outfitter through the State Dept. of Regulation and Licensing. Of course to be licensed, you have to jump through the hoops to acquire the license. I've been told you can't accept anything of value to do a pack out.
So, when you're looking for an Outfitter, will you be able to find one that is willing to come do this, when he has his own operation and clients to worry about? In many cases, we're not talking about a few hours work. We're often talking about a 1/2 tank of diesel fuel, being able to locate you with spotty cell service, and then just doing the job. My hunch is, this wouldn't come cheap, if it happened at all? Then, an Outfitter usually has a permit to work in the area allotted by the USFS on public land. Whether he can legally work outside that given area is something I'm not sure of?
I hate to sound like a downer here, but that's the way CPW explained the facts of life to me.

Personally,I can't see paying a grand to get packed in and out,unless it's over 5 miles in.At that point,they are spending a day moving me around,and I'm to far in to get meat out quick enough solo in archery as well

They charge $475 to pack out an elk according to their website. It says they bring 2 mules for the elk, and a horse for the hunter to ride. Seems well worth it to me if you are way back in the mountains.

They charge $475 to pack out an elk according to their website. It says they bring 2 mules for the elk, and a horse for the hunter to ride. Seems well worth it to me if you are way back in the mountains.

I can think back to a couple of elk I'd have gladly paid $475 to get out of the mountains.

I've elk hunted around Vail some and several of those trails into Eagles Nest are not good for horses, but maybe you are hunting a lower area. Even with horses I'd plan on being able to pack the quarters to a flat spot easily accessible from the trail. Good luck up there and I'm sure you will get into elk.

Back