Caribou Gear

Guided or unguided?

Jasher

With all guide topics popping up. Would you go on a guided hunt with an outfitter that has land owner tags or diy in a lot better unit with a unit wide land owner tag?

Jasher,
Are you an experienced Western hunter?
Do you live close enough to the better unit to spend a week before season scouting?
Are you going to have 2 or 3 friends who will hunt with you or at least tag along?
Do you have camping gear that will withstand an early season snow?
Are you willing to hunt this unit over multiple years to get to know where the elk are?

If you answered yes to 3 of the 5 above then DIY might make sense.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone choosing a guide if:
The unit is a long ways and you can only commit one trip for the season.
The Species or State is a One-and-Done for you. Checking a box, filling a bucket list, etc.
The methods and materials for hunting are not things you own or have experience with.
The logistics of getting a dead animal into refrigerated storage is too difficult to do on your own.

Jasher,
Are you an experienced Western hunter?
Do you live close enough to the better unit to spend a week before season scouting?
Are you going to have 2 or 3 friends who will hunt with you or at least tag along?
Do you have camping gear that will withstand an early season snow?
Are you willing to hunt this unit over multiple years to get to know where the elk are?

If you answered yes to 3 of the 5 above then DIY might make sense.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone choosing a guide if:
The unit is a long ways and you can only commit one trip for the season.
The Species or State is a One-and-Done for you. Checking a box, filling a bucket list, etc.
The methods and materials for hunting are not things you own or have experience with.
The logistics of getting a dead animal into refrigerated storage is too difficult to do on your own.
I have everything needed for a diy hunt. I have been out west 7 years in a row hunting. I would not be able to do the diy unit year after year. I will only be able to be in the unit a few days before season. I'm sure I could get 1 person to go with me.

I have everything needed for a diy hunt. I have been out west 7 years in a row hunting. I would not be able to do the diy unit year after year. I will only be able to be in the unit a few days before season. I'm sure I could get 1 person to go with me.
That sounds to me like the DIY option is an option for you. 4/5 would recommend....

it all depends on what you are after. Some of the best outfitters who will get you a real trophy bull very few can afford. If you just want an elk I am sure there are lots of outfitters or drop camp outfitters that will get you on elk. For an inexperienced person outfitter is a good way to go for the experience.

I just shoot an elk, cow, spike or whatever. Not a horn guy. Its all about just being out there for me.

All deposits on what you want out of it. I don't judge anyone who goes on an outfitted hunt. I went on one and had no sense of accomplishment whatsoever. As long as I'm physically able to I will always hunt diy. Ymmv

Have you killed an elk?

With all guide topics popping up. Would you go on a guided hunt with an outfitter that has land owner tags or diy in a lot better unit with a unit wide land owner tag?
Who’s buying hell ya I’d go hunt some private? My money then na I keep killing them on public

Back