PEAX Equipment

Guided cow hunt recommendations for a friend

jt13

Hey guys,

I was asked by a close family friend for recommendations on a guided cow hunt for late season 2020/2021. He is looking to take himself and a friend on a cow hunt between mid December to mid January. He is an older gentleman at about 72 years old with an artificial hip and a surgically repaired heart so nothing in the backcountry. They don't have any points for elk in any states and landowner tags are an option for them as well as long as the price is reasonable. I told them the going rate for guided cow elk hunts seems to be in the $1500-2500 range for a 3-5 day hunt. If anyone has recommendations on outfitters that they could send me I would greatly appreciate it!

JT13

They'll be coming from PA. Unsure if theyd drive or fly

NM cow hunts start in Oct. & go into Dec. Not sure if the leftover tags have been offered to youth,seniors & Vets, yet. 1st, come 1st served.
LO tags are available.

Leftovers , the decent ones. went with youth. LO at this point.

Clarify that I like the youth getting the tag, but they could of left a few.

There were a few left, but not units I am familiar; I think some in the Gila, but would expect wilderness areas. Units 34 and 36 went immediately.

PM me.
I do know some reputable outfitters in SW NM.
Do not know about tag availability this year. Nor the cost.

Just to clarify, he is planning a year out to Dec 2020/Jan 2021.

Thanks for the help so far!

Check out Rawhide Guide Service in White Sulphur Springs Montana. Great bunch of guides there. They are in a shoulder season area and may be able to put together a late cow hunt or they could do a cow hunt during the general season. Need to call for prices though. Owner: Roy Reiff ~ 717.629.0050

Hey guys,

I was asked by a close family friend for recommendations on a guided cow hunt for late season 2020/2021. He is looking to take himself and a friend on a cow hunt between mid December to mid January. He is an older gentleman at about 72 years old with an artificial hip and a surgically repaired heart so nothing in the backcountry. They don't have any points for elk in any states and landowner tags are an option for them as well as long as the price is reasonable. I told them the going rate for guided cow elk hunts seems to be in the $1500-2500 range for a 3-5 day hunt. If anyone has recommendations on outfitters that they could send me I would greatly appreciate it!

JT13
PMed you

The reservation by Ruidoso, NM offers hunts during that time span. $550 for the cow tag and a couple hundred for a local as your guide.
This tag has to be drawn for, I believe. I did this hunt for four years, solo, as I lived within eyesight of the reservation boundary. It is a wonderful place and Fish and Game guys there were fantastic. I know they have good guides, too, but did not get into that part of it.

This tag has to be drawn for, I believe. I did this hunt for four years, solo, as I lived within eyesight of the reservation boundary. It is a wonderful place and Fish and Game guys there were fantastic. I know they have good guides, too, but did not get into that part of it.
Think you're right. Just looked into it and theres 3 hunts for cow elk and they are all a drawing. One hunt in each of the months of Oct, Nov, Dec.

He has been in touch with an outfitter out of central MT thanks to you kind folks and is working out the details

Yes it does , but a fair number are drawn and not paid for so they resell them a few days before the hunts. Met a gentleman who told me he buys 2-3 that way

I have an acquaintance of similar age and condition who goes on a guided cow hunt every year right in that price range. I know that it’s on the Jicarilla Apache Reservation in NM. I’m sure the Apaches could give you better information. I know he enjoys it.

There are late season cow hunts in Montana, no idea on guides or prices. Look at shoulder seasons in Montana, look at those unit and see who guides there. Hope this helps. Also you dont need a guide for this. But might up the percentage of getting one.

Back