PEAX Equipment

Guesses on whats going down this morning?

I didn’t care for it but I won’t denounce it. It is their set up and what worked for them. The whole ordeal from pen to the last kick was under a couple min. They had the process down to a science. That farm has raised commercial hogs for 30+ years. They had 5 barns and each was over 200’ long. I would dare say they raised more hogs than any of will ever see. They also USDA commercially butchered for the community. If it was that cruel or dumb I highly doubt they would of been as successful and kept their USDA inspectors happy.
A single .22 shot to the forehead and it's lights out. No adrenaline pumped into the meat, the animal doesn't suffer. Stringing a live animal up by the hind legs then slitting it's throat until it bleeds out just isn't humane. BUT!!! It isn't my pigs, it it isn't my ranch. If you're good with it, that's all that really counts.

A single .22 shot to the forehead and it's lights out. No adrenaline pumped into the meat, the animal doesn't suffer. Stringing a live animal up by the hind legs then slitting it's throat until it bleeds out just isn't humane. BUT!!! It isn't my pigs, it it isn't my ranch. If you're good with it, that's all that really counts.
I doubt that pig that was strung up felt a thing. mtmuley

I doubt that pig that was strung up felt a thing. mtmuley
I sure can't argue. Who knows what a pigs perception of pain or panic is. I know I have full out kicked a pig in the ass and it didn't bother them a bit. My only point was that I wouldn't make it my choice to butcher that way. I have literally killed hundreds of pigs domestic and wild and one and done is pretty quick.

My wife's family supplies pork to whole foods mid-atlantic. At my wifes brothers wedding (she and I were dating at the time) he revealed to us that the quickest and most discreet method was to use a souped up tazer to knock them out, then cut their throats.

I'm back home now so I guess I'll explain the whole ordeal. So this isn't my place or my pigs. This is a guy from church who I also do some welding for. This was basically an experiment in raising pigs gone wrong. Between an "infertile" sow he was given and another sow he had, they ended up with 10 or 12 shoates total. Last year they got as many killed as they could, but 5 of them had to wait til this year. One got dealt with during an earlier cold snap but it was just he and his wife so today he called in some help from the church. We got all 4 of the rest killed, skinned, and gutted. 3 of the 4 are quartered and one is hanging until there's enough space to quarter it as well. People who came to help took what they wanted, some will go to others in the church, some will go in his freezer. Not a bad way to spend a day, except for being one of the few that knows how to skin, gut, and quarter.

I didn’t care for it but I won’t denounce it. It is their set up and what worked for them. The whole ordeal from pen to the last kick was under a couple min. They had the process down to a science. That farm has raised commercial hogs for 30+ years. They had 5 barns and each was over 200’ long. I would dare say they raised more hogs than any of will ever see. They also USDA commercially butchered for the community. If it was that cruel or dumb I highly doubt they would of been as successful and kept their USDA inspectors happy.
It almost sounds like a kosher/halal style of slaughter, but I don't think either allow pork to be eaten so that doesn't make sense.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back