"Guess The Score"

EliAGrimmett

Here's an interesting looking New Mexico buck. What do you guys think he scores?

edit: the photos won't upload. weird.

Last edited:
So we can nail down that the "potential world record" comes from NM. Since you decided not to post the picture. :p

I'm guessing the fence to be 50 inches. They are getting higher around here.

You know what's weird is that that's the only sheep fence like that around that area. The antelope can leave the pasture, just can't go that way out. Not sure why the rancher left that fence up. Probably used to run sheep on the ranch or something.

Unreal mass, but a bit short from what I can tell. I'm still gonna say he's close to B&C, if not slightly over. 81-83? Am I close? Pronghorn are so tough from a picture.

Wow, this is one that I think a lot of people would pass, due to the mass obscuring the prongs and length that many others find more appealling.

Length - 14 4/8
Base - 7 6/8
C1 - 7 4/8
C2 - 4 6/8
C3 - 3 0/8
Prong - 5 0/8

42 4/8 X 2= 85

Shoot now, ask questions later.

I'll just assume all scores are based on the bucks longer horn (since the shorter one is broken a little bit).

And just so everyone knows - I have no idea what the buck really scores. This is just for fun.

I was actually going off the short horn, since there will be a deduction. Add another couple inches if we are playing off the long one.

I'm an antelope rookie so all I know is it looks great to me. Thanks for sharing, I've noticed you get some real nice pics and video of antelope.

Here's what I have for him:

L 13
P 5 1/8

B 6 7/8
F 7 4/8

S 4 7/8
T 2 6/8

80 2/8

Originally when I saw this buck I was thinking that he might get 3 mass circumference measurements under his prongs because of how high the prongs are compared to how much horn he has above the prong. So, for B&C, the 2nd quarter measurement is going to be huge because it will fall as close to the prong as it can which is clearly a lot heavier than a couple more inches up the horn.

Definitely a unique buck. Super massive from the front view! And some cool sticker points around his prongs.

Cool buck, what state?

Thinking that it is a Wyoming buck I went with the following

L 14 4/8
P 5 2/8

M1 7 3/8
M2 7 5/8
M3 4 6/8
M4 2 6/8

Total 84 4/8

Maybe I am missing something, but looks better than 80 to me. I could see him being a inch shorter maybe?

The 5 bucks we have killed in NM the last 2 years have all been almost exactly 1" shorter than what we guessed them to be. We have been very close on the bucks that we have killed in UT and WY. I need to measure a couple lengths on them, eye to nose and ears. I'm thinking that there heads are just enough smaller to through us off. I think the ears look a little long on NM antelope and so we think they are longer than they really are.

Something I would love you to cover in your book is scouting methods. I think we spend way to much time behind a spotting scope on bucks that have no chance of being over 80-82 gross. Wondering what you look for when you are in WY with so many bucks to look over. Thinking if it doesn't look huge through the bino's I should just keep on moving.

if it doesn't look huge through the bino's I should just keep on moving.

I wonder the same thing. Hopefully Eli will chime in. I realize some are easily determined being small bucks, but Eli has posted some here with scores that I would have called bullpoop on,but I realized he really has it figured out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back