MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Guess Hank's gauge.

Maybe I forgot what rain is. Just rain. I was way off.
I have more of a feel for the deluge these days. No deluge yesterday.

So how to make this interesting? My gauge is not just moisture.
Ken obviously gets it.

Total for the week? Each day? The monsoon season?
Who gets the prize? Best joke on me? Closest to actual rain gauge?
Most deserving HTer?....naah,too effing woke. For what? Says who? A poll?
What is the prize?

I do know one 15 year old local kid who is hunting for a bull next year. Here on my place.
He showed up with his dad and worked,the whole time. He looked beat when they got here. Quiet type.
Asked the right questions. Answered the questions right. Did the work like a pro and was a total rookie.
This kid was funny. Like me, sarcastic. But truthful. Kids.
I had never met either personally til yesterday morning. But I have known the dad's mom & dad for 6 years now. Hard working cattle ranchers. Salt of the earth folks.
Dad showed even tho he knew I could not pay til next week, when work was planned. "Let's get a jump on the monsoon he said",no problem Hank.
They had been up since 3am to get a trailer of cattle out from a fire area. Figured they could get the footings poured before it got too hot or wet and the still have time to go get the last trailer load out.
As they were loading up I asked the kid if he hunted and his face lit up and said, yes sir. I told him not to call me sir and I doubt he will stop. LOL
Dad said he has started, under supervision. But nothing serious. No elk yet . I doubt they have the extra time.

That's when I told Waylon that if I get LO tags next year, he gets a MB tag to hunt here.
Dad's mouth dropped and Waylons followed. I said shut that gnat trap kid ,you'll choke on the gnats.

Just so happens, I have 2 elk ES RO LO tags that I have not given away for this years hunts.
I do not know if this is right or not here on HT. Just got a bee in my bonnet.
Ground rules.
Must be HTer's. How long?
HTer's make the rules? I have a group in my mind that seem to apply. Opines count.
BF, obviously and he has not been consulted. Before now.
NHY, just cuzz.
VG, cuzz we could need counsel.
Ben Lamb cuzz we need class...lol
wllm cuzz we have no class. Not in beantown anyways.
JLS cuzz he makes me laugh
I open the discussion.
Vet's get Priority! Newbies get a chance. Old farts get one last hunt.

Here goes.
Tried to pm you but it won’t let me. When you find a deserving person for those tags, vets and first and last hunts seem awesome! If they are held back by plane tickets or gas money let me know, I’ll help out for a deserving person.

Maybe I forgot what rain is. Just rain. I was way off.
I have more of a feel for the deluge these days. No deluge yesterday.

So how to make this interesting? My gauge is not just moisture.
Ken obviously gets it.

Total for the week? Each day? The monsoon season?
Who gets the prize? Best joke on me? Closest to actual rain gauge?
Most deserving HTer?....naah,too effing woke. For what? Says who? A poll?
What is the prize?

I do know one 15 year old local kid who is hunting for a bull next year. Here on my place.
He showed up with his dad and worked,the whole time. He looked beat when they got here. Quiet type.
Asked the right questions. Answered the questions right. Did the work like a pro and was a total rookie.
This kid was funny. Like me, sarcastic. But truthful. Kids.
I had never met either personally til yesterday morning. But I have known the dad's mom & dad for 6 years now. Hard working cattle ranchers. Salt of the earth folks.
Dad showed even tho he knew I could not pay til next week, when work was planned. "Let's get a jump on the monsoon he said",no problem Hank.
They had been up since 3am to get a trailer of cattle out from a fire area. Figured they could get the footings poured before it got too hot or wet and the still have time to go get the last trailer load out.
As they were loading up I asked the kid if he hunted and his face lit up and said, yes sir. I told him not to call me sir and I doubt he will stop. LOL
Dad said he has started, under supervision. But nothing serious. No elk yet . I doubt they have the extra time.

That's when I told Waylon that if I get LO tags next year, he gets a MB tag to hunt here.
Dad's mouth dropped and Waylons followed. I said shut that gnat trap kid ,you'll choke on the gnats.

Just so happens, I have 2 elk ES RO LO tags that I have not given away for this years hunts.
I do not know if this is right or not here on HT. Just got a bee in my bonnet.
Ground rules.
Must be HTer's. How long?
HTer's make the rules? I have a group in my mind that seem to apply. Opines count.
BF, obviously and he has not been consulted. Before now.
NHY, just cuzz.
VG, cuzz we could need counsel.
Ben Lamb cuzz we need class...lol
wllm cuzz we have no class. Not in beantown anyways.
JLS cuzz he makes me laugh
I open the discussion.
Vet's get Priority! Newbies get a chance. Old farts get one last hunt.

Here goes
Such generosity. Always get a sense from your posts that there is a lot under the surface of your particular pond, @hank4elk.

Cushman's a Vet and an HT stalwart, but requires ready access to midget strippers.

I never realized I had 6 pages of pms. Tried to delete them, but I'm dumb. I did mark all as read, they were.
Just got some this week and replied.

I normally have someone I know who could use one properly. This year everyone of my friends drew a tag or are helping someone who did.
They gave me 2 bow tags this year ,so I guess they want to smooth out the success rate for the unit. I had been getting 1
Cow tags are to control herd populations and they give few A LO tags these days in my unit. I only get 1. I would rather have cow tags ,personally.
MB LO success rates are 50-60% and the numbers are still 50-65 bulls per 100 cows. So they are not over the limits. I had been getting 2.
Same amount of tags for the draw as last 3 years. So they are stable. Tweeking things is good. Hammerin is not.

Slept thru a 3 hr G&F commission meeting today....LOL

The thunder is rolling and Rio is hiding. Just started up again for the day with a downpour now.

I was off by more than half on my guess this morning. I also realized monsoon season goes thru Sept and the bow hunts, so season total is out ,this year.

I am not wealthy but I have the place to camp. No lodge here. I like my privacy.
This is as easy ground to walk as there is in NM and not hard to cover or blow a herd off. Only 140 acres.
Have to be able to shoot a bow. Well. Maybe at a distance most can't. Or get closer on open country with some cover.
mrcowboy got within 105 of a nice one twice last year. No close cows either. Too many cows to get closer each time. Stuck beside a lone juniper just watching. Wrong juniper,LOL. Had bulls and cows all 5 days. Lots.

Over by 10 am each day. Usually. Lots of time to explore. Have to be good, or lucky.
I don't cotton to drunks or druggies. Everyone struggles. Me included.

I have 2 of these tags.
I don't bow hunt anymore. I drew a late cow and will hunt here.
I won't sell them. I do want them utilized and hopefully filled.

Lets figure this out.

I would do whatever I had to do (almost) to hunt elk. I watch them here most every day when the lions aren't around. If it runs on diesel, I can operate it. If it doesn't fly or have a computer I can fix it. Draw me a cartoon and I can build it!! I know I have a few more good years left in me.

Hank, I think what you're doing is awesome. My thoughts are to go with the youth for their first elk. The other option is a wounded vet dang they earned it the hard way and are very deserving. As an old fart I'd rather sit this out and hear how the kid or vet did with the tag.
Thanks, your hearts in the right place.

My nomination would be @Muskeez. I am not sure of his Vet status but I am confident in his worth. When I did the last Vet hunt he volunteered to share his points so a Vet could go on the trip. Without his help the Vet would not of been able to participate. We had another HT pull out and that left the odds against us but he stuck with the Vet till the end and they drew as a party. He was not able to fill his tag and can use the meat. Solid salt of the earth guy, you won’t go wrong if you have him down.

I never realized I had 6 pages of pms. Tried to delete them, but I'm dumb. I did mark all as read, they were.
Just got some this week and replied.

I normally have someone I know who could use one properly. This year everyone of my friends drew a tag or are helping someone who did.
They gave me 2 bow tags this year ,so I guess they want to smooth out the success rate for the unit. I had been getting 1
Cow tags are to control herd populations and they give few A LO tags these days in my unit. I only get 1. I would rather have cow tags ,personally.
MB LO success rates are 50-60% and the numbers are still 50-65 bulls per 100 cows. So they are not over the limits. I had been getting 2.
Same amount of tags for the draw as last 3 years. So they are stable. Tweeking things is good. Hammerin is not.

Slept thru a 3 hr G&F commission meeting today....LOL

The thunder is rolling and Rio is hiding. Just started up again for the day with a downpour now.

I was off by more than half on my guess this morning. I also realized monsoon season goes thru Sept and the bow hunts, so season total is out ,this year.

I am not wealthy but I have the place to camp. No lodge here. I like my privacy.
This is as easy ground to walk as there is in NM and not hard to cover or blow a herd off. Only 140 acres.
Have to be able to shoot a bow. Well. Maybe at a distance most can't. Or get closer on open country with some cover.
mrcowboy got within 105 of a nice one twice last year. No close cows either. Too many cows to get closer each time. Stuck beside a lone juniper just watching. Wrong juniper,LOL. Had bulls and cows all 5 days. Lots.

Over by 10 am each day. Usually. Lots of time to explore. Have to be good, or lucky.
I don't cotton to drunks or druggies. Everyone struggles. Me included.

I have 2 of these tags.
I don't bow hunt anymore. I drew a late cow and will hunt here.
I won't sell them. I do want them utilized and hopefully filled.

Lets figure this out.
Bless you!

Hank thats awesome!!! So cool your doing this and you made that kids whole life!!! He'll never forget that or the hunt that will come out of it

I could tell chatting with you the other day that you were a good man. This thread confirms it. Good on you Hank.
Now I’m really bummed I didn’t swing by your place when I was out on the Calf Canyon Fire. I would’ve loved sitting down over some coffee with ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back