Grouse with a blowgun?

ammo

Context: Last weekend we were out scouting and grouse hunting with bows - and passed a few first season rifle hunters that were carrying blow guns (presumably so they could carry their rifles and use the blow gun as a walking stick)

1. I did not know this was a thing (but guess it makes sense! not going to shoot a grouse with my .270)
2. Fast forward to Friday (it was my birthday) and Mr.Ammo got me a blow gun (me: this is a weird birthday present....him: well you're a weird person! ....me: [I can't argue with that logic but still waiting for that nice side-by-side...] )
3. Questions..... Have any of you weirdos actually gotten a grouse with a blow gun? Also we really need to get an elk next weekend to fill the freezer...is the blow gun going to get in the way? I love grouse hunting. I just don't want it to detract from elk hunting.
4. If yes re: grouse with blow gun...will the "broadheads" (metal darts that look pretty weak) with little plastic cones actually kill a grouse or should I possibly invest in a better dart?

Signed, A Grouse Addict

grizzly_

When I was young, I sat in a juniper tree and waited for a magpie to come by and got it with a blow gun with one of the long spear darts. It wasn't humane and I never did it again.

Fencepost

Tim wells will kill anything on the planet with a blow gun. Or a spear. But he has a few videos on YouTube that I'm sure you could get a good idea of what the metal darts and others would do. I belive one of the darts he uses are called slock master special .

Stocker

I’ve been wanting to get one to shoot at squirrels while deer hunting out it s treestand. I bet they’d kill a grouse, but the flying away aspect might make them hard to recover. I have no clue though.

Gr8bawana

Why would you want to try to kill a grouse with what is basically a needle? A friend of mine once shot a crow with a blowgun right in the chest. The darn thing lived for several days before it died.
Don't do that to a grouse. :(

TrumpkinTheDwarf

My body is in Texas, but home is the Big Sky count
Why would you want to try to kill a grouse with what is basically a needle? A friend of mine once shot a crow with a blowgun right in the chest. The darn thing lived for several days before it died.
Don't do that to a grouse. :(
Well, it generally helps if you get the broadhead tipped darts... or make your own. Those are quite effective on squirrels. But I totally agree about not using one on grouse when there are so many other options.
Heck, you can get an 11oz 22 mag revolver from S&W! That would be a SWEET grouse gun.

TOGIE

for the grouse addict that wants to shoot em during rifle elk... i'd probably just recommend adding 3 lbs to the pack and bring a daisy powerline 880 with rodent pellets.

FoodIsMemories

Well, it generally helps if you get the broadhead tipped darts... or make your own. Those are quite effective on squirrels. But I totally agree about not using one on grouse when there are so many other options.
Heck, you can get an 11oz 22 mag revolver from S&W! That would be a SWEET grouse gun.

$800+ And Couldn’t hit a pop can at 5 yards with that thing 😂

ammo

FWIW - I do not want to inhumanely kill grouse, so appreciate the discourse. Would a big blowgun broadhead work? (these?)

Even shooting a grouse with a bow with small game arrow tips, most of the time the grouse is still flapping even when you fully nail it....so I have to catch it and do the neck twist...not all methods are perfect...except maybe HUNTTALKMAN's .270/30-06 way! But then you've got gunshots happening in your elk zone.

ammo

All - the finer details of blowgun ethics are moot:

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 4.47.50 PM.png

Blowguns are not a legal method of take in CO thus, I will not be bringing it along. Guess it's going to be a redneck campfire can plunker mischief maker for now!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knjax15