Ground squirrel season opened by Moosie

Ithaca 37

Moosie and I opened the ground squirrel season yesterday. It was a beautiful day and they were out in force. I witnessed some great shooting by Moosie, including one incredible seventy-five yard shot on an enraged squirrel that was charging us. A few more leaps and he would have pounced on us! I though I was a goner until Moosie stopped him!

lol ithaca. moosie has saved many of lives by shooting those varmits.

Delw

My Dad is leaving next week to some Idaho/Nevada squirrel hunting.
He will be hunting out of Mountain Home, Bruno, and also Mountain City NV.

John

Ithica, I am A few days LAte but here's My STORY....

Ithica 37 invited me to Shoot some ground squirles. I cut out of work ( My wife said "take off work to shoot GROUND Squirles?!?!
biggrin.gif
) at 1PM and headed to the spot I was going to meet him. He was in the PArking lot Calling in turkeys with his CALL.. And I came right in
smile.gif
so it must work heh??? Anyways, I jumped in his car and we headed out. I figured he Would be a LOUDER fellow but was Softer spoken and told me all sorts of info. I didn't talk much (BElieve you me
wink.gif
) but listened to the Pluthora of info he had to share. It wasn't until later that afternoon that we even talked about the board. And it was Minimal at that.

Anyways, We got there to his spot and he pulled out the sighting in bench. He fired 2 rounds and NAiled it center. I plugged several rounds and Never got as close as he did... WELL....Adjust this Tweak that... I never really ws any good at that
smile.gif
I saw the First pig at like 15 ft and Shot and Missed. He said He wouldn't tell ANY ONE but I figured he would so I brought it up
smile.gif
HEhehe

Well, we went out and Ithica can shoot. He plugged squirles twice the Distance that I could. He had a Bie-POD and used it well. After finding our "SPOT" we plunkered down and started Blasting. Them little guys can run even with not..... Well, They are a sturty animal let's say
biggrin.gif

We plinked along and then He let me use his gun. Ahhh WHAT a difference. I was hitting them well too. OK Not as good as he was I think but ALOT better then I WAS. I didn't even want to pick my gun up after that. He had fun letting me get excited shooting. He probably felt like a DAD Taking out his kid With me having so much fun. Even After We said Last round, He reloaded again and Said, OK have one more wack at them
smile.gif
He would reload his clip and Go forth with different stories. I had a BLAST.

Afterwards We stopped and HAd a SLICE-o-pie and headed home. He gave me 3 "strikers" that I will try to use durring the Turkey season. He is knowledgable in the Turkey field and Gives Classes on Fridays. Un fortunately I couldn't make this one AGAIN.
frown.gif
But I hope to next time...

IN closeing I would like to MAke a point... Ithica 37 and Me didn't get Along well on "HIS". Heck I even Made a Joke when He came over to this site in an E-mail to him. BUT he is, like most everyone here I think, Is a hunter and Likes to Hunt. He has the same passions we all do. Sometimes on the "board" people type a little diifferent then What they realy mean or we misunderstand them. I AM PRobably to blame for that, with him!!!!! He is a GREAT guy and I hope to Smack a Whistle pig with him AGAIN!!!!

THANX Burke!!!!

-Moosie

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

HntrJohn That is a GOOD area. I went out past Boise towrd Mnt home For "LUNCH" on Friday after Ithica got my blood a going and saw some. We went Back out yesterday and Slaughtered them. OK We got a few .. BUT it was FUN!!!!! The wind was up and They didn't want to leave the safe hole. BUT Nextweek should be AWSOME!!!!!!

ANYWAYS, Tell POPS to have a good time but be carefull. Sat there was 7 BILLION people out shooting in ALL directions....

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

.....sounds like you guys had a blast!.....you left out some very important details though......the rifle......what caliber....what scope...the ammo..................i just gotsa know!.....JB

Moosie flatters me with his comments about my shooting, and the other nice things he said also. Actually, he is a very good shot. He just needed a more accurate rifle more suited for precision work. Those squirrels are not very big targets. I also had the advantage of knowing how much drop to compensate for at the longer distances, naturally, since it was my own gun and I've done quite a bit of target shooting with it out to about 100 yards.

Just as I expected, Moosie is a great guy and very interesting to spend time with. I really enjoyed our hunt. It sounds like he caught a pretty bad case of ground squirrel fever, since he hunted the next two days in a row! In reply to his comment about us not getting along on HIS I'd like to say I don't even remember anything we disagreed on. Maybe our perceptions are a lot different and, as we discussed when we did talk about this board, it's very easy to misunderstand someone on these chat boards. Maybe many of us come across as being a lot different than we really are. Anyway, Moosie is a lot of fun and I had a great time with him. And an added bonus is that he seems to enjoy stopping at a cafe for a piece of pie just as much as I do! I look forward to hunting with him again. How's your schedule looking this week, Moosie? We could go back to the same spot but drive or walk a little further to get more off the beaten path. Now that you've seen what the weekend crowds can be like, you probably see why I prefer weekdays. I'm wearing blaze orange next time, too.

JB Corporation, The rifle is a Remington Model 541T. I bought it because a nice accurate .22 is a great thing to have and it's so similar to my Model 700s I can switch back and forth very easily. Naturally, it has the advantage of costing a lot less to shoot and I find it's a very good substitute for practicing with the larger calibers. All .22 ammo shoots differently in different guns. The most accurate load in my Model 541T is the CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points. The scope is the weak part. I skimped and bought a Tasco 3x9 regular big game rifle type of scope. It's adequate, but some day I'm going to upgrade to a Leupold just like I use on my Model 700s. I thought the Tasco would be OK at .22 distances and it isn't bad, but optics( even on a .22) is not a good place to try to save money. I've never been satisfied with it. Oh well, I got what I paid for!

My old man is over your way again trying to thin down the squirels. At least that is his story. He left on Monday and I think he gets back next Wednesday.

John

Tomorow Will be a GREAAAAAAT Day for killin' um Ground squils!! and Monday and Tuesday Even Better !!!!! Tues is suposed to be 71 Deg !!!!

That Snow will be a MElting Fast :D :D

HEre Mr bear here Mr bear ... (Ohh Yah This is the Groundsquirl section :D :D

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back