Ground shooting grouse

Add chukars to the list of birds I'll shoot on the ground without hesitation.

I had the podcast going today and was laughing out loud about the grouse b/c I just thought everyone shot them off the ground or out of trees.

The high-fence analogy misses the mark since we aren't trying to boost our ego with a trophy.

I was simply making the point of how ridiculous it is that shooting a semi-tame, high fenced deer is more socially accepted than shooting a wild grouse on the ground.

I would love to see a YouTube episode of it Randy.

I never knew I was doing anything wrong. Every grouse that I've ever shot was on the ground or in a tree. Shot them all with my bow. I try to put a stalk on them and get to exactly 20 yards from them. That 20 yard pin is deadly. By the way, if you haven't eaten grouse fried in bacon grease in the backcountry, you haven't lived.

When it comes to shooting feathered friends, ground pounding is second only to shooting a turkey off its roost. My opinion of course..

I don't have a problem taking a grouse on the ground or in a tree, but I've killed a lot more flying than not. Much of those were while hunting with a dog, so that's part of it. But even without a dog, if I'm out hiking in the mountains, I don't often see them on the ground before they're in the air trying to get away. And I really prefer taking them while flying. It's much more satisfying. I've even waited for grouse to fly when I've seen them on the ground first, if I'm in an open area and know I'll be able to shoot. My Remington 1100 LT-20 that I got 37 years ago for Christmas when I was 11 has taken a lot of grouse. Love that gun.

Here in New England, those of us without dogs shoot them on the ground all the time, as often as possible. Colloquially, we often differentiate it by calling them partridge (pronounced pa'tridge) when shot any way we can and a grouse when shot over a dog.

I let Texas Galliformes rise before missing. Nothing like flushing a covey in the dark headed to a deer stand for a cardiac jumpstart.

I just listened to this podcast and chuckled and said "Newberg what the hell are doing?" at the same time. Personally I think grouse are the exception to the rule. I think taking a blue grouse on the ground in the dense woods is a safer option if you are out with a bunch of buddies. For all of our other feathered friends, pheasant, quail etc, giving the bird a sporting chance to get away is the only way to go imo. I think it's more of a projectile thing than anything. I've never heard of anyone shooting a pheasant or quail with a 22 or a bow. If you are ground pounding with a shotgun, you are cheating imo.
As for plug laws, (limiting guns to three shells or less) don't quote me, but I believe they are safety laws. Usually in instances where you see those laws are in hunts where most likely there will be larger groups of hunters or hunting parties, in likely chaotic situations. Less shells less chance for accidents. I may be wrong but I believe that is why those laws were created.
In summery if you can't hit em in the air then you just have more reason to go to the range and shoot. Practice practice practice. 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back