Ground shooting grouse

I understand most of you are talking about western grouse, spruce grouse or whatever. Here in the east we have ruffed grouse which seem to be much less willing to sit still in my experience, although I have heard of them exhibiting some strange behavior such as following people.

I understand most of you are talking about western grouse, spruce grouse or whatever. Here in the east we have ruffed grouse which seem to be much less willing to sit still in my experience, although I have heard of them exhibiting some strange behavior such as following people.
Many a ruffed grouse gets sluiced "out west" as well. Had a graduate professor tell me about his experience with ruffed grouse in the NE vs those in No. Utah and how much cagey-ier the birds in the NE were. Said it about day 2 it dawned on him that those in the NE had been hunted by men with guns about 200 years longer than those in UT! :D

Funny for a born and raised westerner to hear tales of "cagey ruffed grouse". Seems like an oxymoron! There have been a few times that no amount of noise or wild waving of arms would get those suckers to flush! ;)

Ruffies and blues are the only ones I shoot on the ground - every other bird is wingshooting only.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back