Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Grizzly Attack in Wyoming

they are both the same story just different paper. Either way there is getting more and more out there. Last year when they did the survey every sow had triplets in this area. After a couple years like that it don't take long to run into one and there are going to have to spread out even more

There are people who claim to have seen them out of the Greater Yellowstone area but I hear collar evidence does not support that yet. Areas I hunt, I have not seen sign but at the same time I would not be surprised to see them when I hunt or their sign. The numbers are up above initial goals so it is time to delist them and put controls on their population with hunting.

WY F&G has trapped and euthanized grizzlies east or powell on at least three occasions. The grizzlies are likely going to end up invading the bighorns within the next 5-8 years and that came right out of a biologists mouth. He said they dont want them there and they will try to keep them out of the bighorns but they are coming sooner than later...

WY F&G has trapped and euthanized grizzlies east or powell on at least three occasions. The grizzlies are likely going to end up invading the bighorns within the next 5-8 years and that came right out of a biologists mouth. He said they dont want them there and they will try to keep them out of the bighorns but they are coming sooner than later...
The 3 east of powell that i know of were sow with cubs (counted each) in byron but there deffinately gonna end up bighorns if not already. People say they seen few but i havent yet. Now the southern range border rt191 south of bondurant i can tell you bunch stories about them where they "dont inhabit".

they are both the same story just different paper. Either way there is getting more and more out there. Last year when they did the survey every sow had triplets in this area. After a couple years like that it don't take long to run into one and there are going to have to spread out even more

What "survey" reported finding every sow with triplets in this area?

Thinking it is time to delist grizzlies so they can be hunted.
Unfortunately I don't think hunting will be much help for quite some time considering the small number of tags that were proposed for the short period where Wyoming was planning a hunt.

What "survey" reported finding every sow with triplets in this area?
when I picked up my fire wood permit last spring at the forest service office in Island Park. I know they were running live traps along the MT ID boarder tagging bears as well

when I picked up my fire wood permit last spring at the forest service office in Island Park. I know they were running live traps along the MT ID boarder tagging bears as well

Do you have a reference for said "survey"?
Every grizzly bear study or survey conducted in the lower 48 is published and available online. When you find the one that says every female bear observed had triplets, let me know. I will be anxiously waiting.

I was out in the area hunting bears last year twice. I think we hit bad times but are there actually as many bears as everyone talks about out there? People talked like the Ashton/Island Park area is just crawling with black and grizzlies, but we didn't see much.

Do you have a reference for said "survey"?
Every grizzly bear study or survey conducted in the lower 48 is published and available online. When you find the one that says every female bear observed had triplets, let me know. I will be anxiously waiting.
I guess I didn't see a reason for them to lie to me but you are right it hard to believe that every sow has triplets, could be just the ones the have collars on. I guess the next time I am in there I will just say BS to what they say. I don't really think that they even see every one in this area as it is very dense forest in some areas

I was out in the area hunting bears last year twice. I think we hit bad times but are there actually as many bears as everyone talks about out there? People talked like the Ashton/Island Park area is just crawling with black and grizzlies, but we didn't see much.
I find more tracks than bears as there is no good place to glass from but it can be done as I shot a bear last year

I guess I didn't see a reason for them to lie to me but you are right it hard to believe that every sow has triplets, could be just the ones the have collars on. I guess the next time I am in there I will just say BS to what they say. I don't really think that they even see every one in this area as it is very dense forest in some areas
One thing to consider is that you were talking to Forest Service front desk employee(s), who were most likely conveying second hand info, so probably had heard that G&F were seeing lots of triplets, and repeat it as "every sow had triplets".

I will say though that I have an ex-biologist friend who lives in Cody area, and he's not the dramatic gloom and doom type, but he has told me multiple stories of encounters with grizzlies, says they never go anywhere, even 50 yards from the truck to a fishing hole, without bringing bear spray and being on alert.

My biggest take away from this is that he had, and used his inreach. He was on a chopper in just over an hour after hitting the sos.

I got in trouble for calling people idiots over on another forum for not using a satellite com device when in the backcountry when you know you will not have cell service. I still stand by my statement.

I find more tracks than bears as there is no good place to glass from but it can be done as I shot a bear last year

We're rookie bear hunters anyways. Maybe I'll give it a shot out there again someday.

So the actual report on attack: they think the bear bit the bear spray (got a mouthful) while still on guys hip to stop attack. Lucky dude, hope he is doing well up in billings.

It's seems funny to me in the last decade that the game and fish promote healthy populations of bears in the greater Yellowstone ecosystem but manage them to stay out of the big horns. The Big Horns would be perfect habitat for grizzlies, albeit human encounters would go WAY up and they would probably have an impact on the black bear populations. The biologists I know in Cody have said the amount of grizzlies they catch on that side of the basin near the big horns has steadily increased in the last five years. Meaning from zero captures to one or two a year. It would not surprise me at all if the bears manage to have a resident presence on the big horns in the next decade. If we were serious about the conservation of the species I would love to see grizzlies on that side of the basin. Too many special interests don't want them there though. Exact same thing applies with wolves.

Back