Caribou Gear Tarp

Grizz kills 2 in Banff w/ update

That's an awful way to die.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to bring a form of personal protection along. It's not like you're hunting. But it doesn't really matter at this point. I wouldn't be out there backpacking in grizz country without a gun though. It's sad that guns aren't allowed until SAR is going in for what turned out to be body recoveries. Then they can bring a gun in.
Because.......CANADA. NATIONAL PARK.

Don't like the rules, then don't play the game...

Yeah, I'm wouldn't advise breaking firearm laws, I'd mosey on to a place where I could do as I see fit. Plenty of public land where you can carry.

Unless we're talking about different bus hippies, Chris McCandless wasn't eaten by a bear. Did Timothy Treadwell live in a bus too? How many Alaskan bus dwellers have been killed by bears? But I digress..

maybe he lived in tent. either way he got ate and his girlfriend

Yup thats the problem right there. Death was preventable and the government took away their ability to protect themselves. Only question would be if they would have wanted to be armed. The saying goes "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Not everyone is a gun owner or wants to carry guns. Bear spray is extremely effective against predators and is usually more than enough while being bear aware.

There's also this idiot, shooting a non-threatening bear in the same park:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/black-bear-shooting-fine-1.6897845

Not everyone is a gun owner or wants to carry guns. Bear spray is extremely effective against predators and is usually more than enough while being bear aware.

There's also this idiot, shooting a non-threatening bear in the same park:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/black-bear-shooting-fine-1.6897845
We can disagree with "extremely" effective. The two dead people and their dog next to one used can of bear spray, and one unused can of bear spray, hurts your statement quite a bit. It's a temporary deterrent, and in their case failed miserably. A firearm is a permanent neutralizer IF used properly. But if people dont want to carry a firearm and become bear poop, I support their choice either way.

Old bear in bad shape with bad teeth. Similar to the maneater tiger from India stories. Can't imagine their last moments.
Similar to one of the bears in Night of the Grizzlies, if I recall correctly.

Very sad situation, they did everything the right way, just wrong place wrong time. RIP

This has been one of the worst years for bear attacks in the northwest. I've live and hunted in MT all my life. We always have a few attacks, but this year has been crazy!

This has been one of the worst years for bear attacks in the northwest. I've live and hunted in MT all my life. We always have a few attacks, but this year has been crazy!
Agree, I don't have the numbers but it does seem like a lot of attacks, and a lot of bears shot and wounded/killed too. I spent a lot of time in grizzly country this summer and saw seven bears, but fortunately none of them acted aggressively.

A firearm is a permanent neutralizer IF used properly.
BS - it's only permanent if you're lucky. It takes a solid CNS shot to stop a bear from chewing you. NO ONE could effectively use a pistol to stop a charging grizzly 100% of the time. No one.

BS - it's only permanent if you're lucky. It takes a solid CNS shot to stop a bear from chewing you. NO ONE could effectively use a pistol to stop a charging grizzly 100% of the time. No one.
Agreed, but apparently you can say the same about bear spray from what transpired in Banff. I say carry what gives you confidence. I will disagree with the term "lucky" I'd say trained and prepared goes a looooong way

Back